S52 exhaust too loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 exhaust too loud

Had a neighbor complain about the noise when I leave for work at 5am, and it really is a justified complaint. My car is loud. I'd rather not drive my Z4M through the winter so I'm going to need to fix this.

Currently I'm running a stock s52, modified one2 headers into mandrel bent downpipes and merged into a 2.5" single. No catalytic, small resonator, and a single/dual magnaflow. I am considering swapping the resonator for a cat, but it may not be enough improvement. Can anyone recommend an SS muffler I can drop in that's not as much a straight through as the magnaflow unit? I may need a cat anyways as I might have emissions testing soon.

1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

I have a Borla and a Magnaflow with 2.5" piping. Magnaflow 5x9 (I kinda forget) and the Borla is a 1:2 9x6ish. No cat. M20, flows through the stock manifolds into a collector, to the magnaflow and then into the borla. At RPM under 3000 it is pretty tame, still hear it, but it is reasonable. Above 3000 it roars like a proper exhaust should.

I can't say what it would sound like on an S52, but I imagine it would be a little tamer, judging from youtube videos. For reference I had a resonator like your setup in place of the other muffler, but I found that it was far too loud.
    1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
    2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
      I am considering swapping the resonator for a cat
      That probably won't make any difference. Replace the resonator with another muffler, or just add one inline with the resonator.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'm not sure if I have the ground clearance anywhere else for another muffler. Booked an appointment with the guys who built my system to see what they think about dropping in a second muffler in the resonator's location.
        1990 332i, 4 door
        2008 KTM 990 Superduke
        2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

That resonator looks tiny! Think about a longer resonator and a cat too (especially I you have emissions coming up).

Comment

"Syncro design works" makes a killer s52 swapped exhaust from the factory manifolds back. The exhaust will work with any m52/s52 or s50/m50 swap. Give them a call (770) 324-7972

Comment

Too late, already had the exhaust shop replace the resonator with a single/single magnaflow oval muffler. Made quite a reasonable difference, I havent heard any more complaints from the neighbors
              1990 332i, 4 door
              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                Too late, already had the exhaust shop replace the resonator with a single/single magnaflow oval muffler. Made quite a reasonable difference, I havent heard any more complaints from the neighbors
                Did that setup reduce the drone inside the car much?

Comment

Working...
                X