Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless Exhaust for $190? Speedyracer... anyone try this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Exhaust for $190? Speedyracer... anyone try this?

Has anyone bought this muffler?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-19...50231e&vxp=mtr

Too good to be true?

I bought one July 14, and have been happy with it. It is pretty similar in sound to a stock exhaust (maybe a hair louder), with no rasp, and has held up well so far on a DD through a rust belt winter. The fit and fitment where perfect, and it is lighter than the stock muffler.

Comment

I ran one for 2 years. Barely louder than stock. Stainless is poor quality, so you see little specks of rust and spots form, but for the most part it polished up nicely before I sold it.

one of the midpipe flanges was welded ~5 degrees off of straight, but once I beat it flat, it sealed fine. New hangers/seals make a big difference with fitment too.

99.5% sure it is the same as the old IE catback. Same look, same messed up flange, etc.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Holy, I was just looking for reviews on this thing. Good timing. My girlfriend's E30 needs a new catback and this one seemed cheap and cheerful.

I'll pick one up and report back.
        REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
          Holy, I was just looking for reviews on this thing. Good timing. My girlfriend's E30 needs a new catback and this one seemed cheap and cheerful.

I'll pick one up and report back.
          please do, my convertible needs a new exhaust.
          2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
          (Daily Driver)
          Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
          KW V2 Coilovers
          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I did one on Gertas vert, absolutely love it.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I called speedyracer in Indianapolis and asked for a discount, they gave me $5 off. (Better than nothing.)

It's on it's way, I'll report back when it's installed.
              REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                I called speedyracer in Indianapolis and asked for a discount, they gave me $5 off. (Better than nothing.)

It's on it's way, I'll report back when it's installed.
                Hey Max - Did you get this in good order?

Comment

Update

I thought I'd drop an update in case others are thinking of purchasing this item.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered this stainless steel exhaust on Friday May 22 and I received this item on Saturday May 23.. No I'm not kidding - it was unbelievable.. I'm only one day point away - so I must have hit the truck just in time..

The packaging was superb - it was bubble wrapped and highly protective - came in one box.

I was surprised that it was two pieces - the muffler was a separate piece from the two pipes that come out of the cat.

The fit was a little bit to be desired - meaning it was not as easy to put on as the factory muffler (I personally have installed about 5 E30 mufflers to this point - I swapped a couple at one point). I first put on the twin pipes but soon found out I could not slide the muffler on by myself - I would have needed a person to help. Since I didn't have help - I assembled the two pieces off the car and then installed. I had to use a couple of pry bars to fit the flanges because they just wouldn't line up. In reality the system is just off at a weird angle - jutting towards the rear drivers side tire. I had to bend the hanger to make it fit into the little donut.

I am happy with the look, I am hoping to at least gain a nit of life as it is a grade of stainless steel - I thought what the hell it was $55 dollars higher than the cheapest exhaust I found (I spent $191 shipped).. It does look nice - but it sits real close to the left side (drivers side) exhaust cut out on the rear valance.. it doesn't touch, so I think it is ok.. Honestly, I don't think any amount of tweaking would make it much better, so I'm going to leave it.

I didn't really like the clamps and the position of where the separation happens - its real close to the drivers side swing arm and of course the brake line that runs on it. The clamps are best positions at an angle - but the clamp ends are still only an inch away from the break line. I dont think they can ever touch, but its just one thing I was planning for when I ordered it..

Here is some pics:
                  Attached Files

Comment

is it any lighter than the stock exhaust?
                    88 325is Five Speed
                    Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                      is it any lighter than the stock exhaust?
                      I didn't specifically weigh it - but after I attached the two pieces and maneuver it around under the car - it didn't feel much lighter than what I had on it... Its 2" pipe and the muffler section is still pretty heavy. Gauge wise - its doesn't seem to be thinner.. you can't bend it by hand..

Comment

So its actually 2" pipe? Stock m20 stuff is only 1.75" i think
                        How much do they crush it down for the area under the subframe?

Comment

I would rather have that center joint welded, those clamps look like crap, and way too close to the trailing arm.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

They must be making them two pieces so it's easier/cheaper to ship? Shipping for the full length one was >$100 for me.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

WTF? It looks like they raised the price 10x

Comment

Working...
                              X