325iX exhaust options???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325iX exhaust options???

Alright, so, my sister has a 1991 e30 325iX with the full Dinan works on it, honed intake mani, chip, stage 1 suspension, and exhaust. Recently, it's been getting louder and louder. I figured it was because of a small hole in the muffler. Boy was I wrong. The muffler is 3 years old, and when I got it up in the air (after one of the tips fell off ), it looked like an Ansa that was 10 years old. It had rusted and rotted all the way through where the pipes meet the can, and all the welds had rusted apart. The thing is a mess. So, I have to get something new. I need some help with what I 'should' replace it with. I've got a couple of options:

1. Just go back to stock, it's cheaper, and will last longer than the three years the Dinan exhaust did.

2. IE's 100% SS exhaust for $450.

3. B&B TriFlow, also 100% SS, for $800

Now, I know most of you will say the IE because of price, but if you all had the option of not paying for it if it were your car, how would you do it? Are there any other mufflers that would work well? And no, I will not do a "custom" exhaust with either Magnaflow or Midas/Meineke mufflers.

if it's for your sister, I would get the supersprint. it will be pretty quiet (almost stock, but a better tone), extremely high quality and it flows just as well if not better than any of those. mine is 10 years old an is still in excellent shape. it costs about the same as the triflow (which I also hear is pretty dang loud).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

But is the Supersprint 100% SS as well? I'm trying to get the best bang for her buck. Longevity is really the main concern for her.

Comment

I believe it is.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the help... I think I'm going to go with the IE. The extra $350 I will save over the B&B will buy a lot of chicken wings.

Comment

yeah, the IE is supposed to be fairly quiet - the triflow I've read is extremely loud, not something I think your sister would enjoy, but who knows!
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does anyone know how much quieter the IE is compared to the BB?

Old thread bump!

Comment

Ive gone with the IE, hoping it's much less loud than the Triflow on the iX now.

Comment

The Ireland Engineering exhaust is on the iX and sounds pretty good. WAY quieter than the Tri-Flo, which is awesome. But now I hear lots of other noises and squeaks. :P

I do have one question. Has anyone else had much trouble with the IE cat-back fitting up properly? I had to use some yankee ingenuity to spread the tubing apart to mate up parallel with the catalytic converter.

Need to get new exhaust hanger donuts because they weren't included in IE's kit for some reason. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                  X