Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does a catalytic converter last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does a catalytic converter last?

I'm the second owner of a 91 E30 318i and I've owned the car since 2006. I've never replaced the catalytic converter and I have the previous maintenance records/receipts from the original owner and I can't find any record of the cat being replaced. I'm just wondering how long they last, car has 210K on it. I've ordered a new Supersprint cat back exhaust for my M42 318i and now I have found a Magnaflow catalytic convertor from the header pipe back beyond the cat where it will join up to the Supersprint exhaust. Looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger to take advantage of a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on this Magnaflow cat. That way I would have a new exhaust system all the way back. https://www.bimmerworld.com/Magnaflo...318I-1-8L.html
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i
    98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Usually the lift of the vehicle
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It can vary widely. If the car ran extra rich or lean for a period of time (bad O2 sensor, AFM issue, vacuum leaks, a clogged injector, etc.) then it will definitely kill the catalyst. I replaced my stock one with a Magnaflow cat in 2008, and have replaced it twice more since then. BUT, that was due to issues with the injectors and doing a bunch of tuning causing it to run very rich. The Magnaflow cat I have in it now is going on 6 years and still blowing clean.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
      X