Supercharger for 325i engine? Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercharger for 325i engine? Ideas?

I have pretty much decided on installing an Eaton supercharger on my 325i engine (2.5L - 9:1 compression) in my 1986 325es.

I see turbos are about all that is done here but I thought I would ask some questions to learn what I can before I pull the trigger.

I am looking for street drivability and lower rpm torque 2000 - 5000

1. M62 or M90?

2. I hope I don't have to go to an intercooler.......can I run 5 to 10 pounds without one?

3. The belt problem looks tough and I was thinking of eliminating the fan and use a larger electric fan (I am in a cool climate).

4. Engine management looks tough. Miller does not retard timing during boost..............what to do?

Machining and fabricating is not a problem for me.

Any ideas would be appriciated........the more detailed the better.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

1. dunno. what size engines are each matched to by the factories? you'll want to go with whatever is closest to yours.

2. above 6-7psi, you need an intercooler.

3. electric fan conversions are common. a 16" fan will fit in front of or behind the radiator.

4. megasquirt? leave the stock computer for guys with stockish motors..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You should consider a twin screw design. They are much more efficient, even more efficient than centrifugal superchargers. And they produce a lot less heat as they compress the air inside the supercharger instead of in the intake manifold. A TS will always produce more power under the same conditions (psi, temp, elevation, etc) than a roots or centrifugal supercharger throughout the RPM band.
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

belt problem is not that hard...with machining and fabricating abilities.

This is just ideas going through my head...not tested. Assuming AC is deleted,

using a lathe, cut one ring off on the crankshaft accessory pulley and leave a small protruding ring for s/c pulley alignment, move p/s pump back slightly.

put your a steel pulley on a lathe and cut a nice concentric ring that fits in front of the accessory pulley and skip weld it, voila supercharger pulley.

again, just an Idea.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Accidentally posted in another thread.

Originally Posted by sryspraux View Post
          belt problem is not that hard...with machining and fabricating abilities.

This is just ideas going through my head...not tested. Assuming AC is deleted,

using a lathe, cut one ring off on the crankshaft accessory pulley and leave a small protruding ring for s/c pulley alignment, move p/s pump back slightly.

put your a steel pulley on a lathe and cut a nice concentric ring that fits in front of the accessory pulley and skip weld it, voila supercharger pulley.

again, just an Idea

so is blueapplesoda the same person? I don't get it?

Comment

tn325i is using the exact setup you are... PM him.

Comment

Working...
            X