My Turbo Exhaust Concept Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Turbo Exhaust Concept Question

Im mapping everything out for when i start my turbo project and i have a question pertaining to my exhaust setup that i cant find the answer to. My plan is to run 3in. pipe down to an electric exhaust cut out such as this.
    Free Shipping - Doug's Headers Electric Exhaust Cutout Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Exhaust Cutouts at Summit Racing.

This is basically an electric valve that i can remotely open and close changing the direction of the exhaust gases. One way will go to a high flow muffler and the other direction will be a straight pipe.

My question is this: depending on the engine managemeant i run be it a chipped ecu or m.s. will the computer have issues with repeated changes in backpressure and is there away around this problem if it does exist?

you should be fine as long as it is post CAT and not up at the manifolds.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

No you won't have issues, but I'd route my piping better than that silly straight line.

And, I'd put the cutout somewhere earlier, post cat, and side exit with knockoffs.

Comment

i hate to tell you but that is not a concept, it's called an exhaust dump, and they've been around for a loooong time.

for example:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd238GgSnwY

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...?3964142-Dumps
        Originally posted by Dozyproductions
        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

^its not a new concept

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Can't see it being worth the hassle really. Especially that far back.

If you ran a restrictive (quiet) street exhaust and wanted this closer to the downpipe I could see a small gain possible when open.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

The real thing he is missing, is the turbo will act as quite a "muffler", I'd just put a nice resonator on the back end of the car and call it a day.

Comment

so is this just so you can be loud as hell when you want, or for some performance gain? i know my grandpa had a friend in the 30s-40s and he put a foot pedal in to bypass all the pipes when he wanted the car to scream, but then he could close it again with his foot if cops were around.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    so is this just so you can be loud as hell when you want, or for some performance gain? i know my grandpa had a friend in the 30s-40s and he put a foot pedal in to bypass all the pipes when he wanted the car to scream, but then he could close it again with his foot if cops were around.
                    This will be my daily running low boost so I want it to sound tame however when I'm trying to show olff or I'm the track I want the car to be loud. I'm not looking for a signifigant power gain just the 2 different levels of noise.

Comment

Newsflash, fast cars are not about noise levels.

Comment

im using a 3inch downpipe with a 400 long box in the centre and another bigger 400 long box at the back, also daily driver so didnt want too much noise, works fine for me, when boosting the noise levels obviously do increase

Comment

Hang on... When did you boost your car Mohammed?

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
                            Hang on... When did you boost your car Mohammed?
                            shouldve guessed u would be around stevin.... kept it a bit quiet on the local scene, but sold the M motor in december

Comment

What motor are you running now?

Comment

Working...
                              X