524td AiResearch turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

524td AiResearch turbo

anyone running the stock AiResearch turbo from a 524td? I would like some input and details of your build. some pictures would be great. thanks.

I'll be doing one in april useing a volvo garret. Basically the same turbo. Also check out the grass roots motorsports "warbird" build. It uses the garrett and a notched 524td manifold.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I'm also using this same setup for my first e30 turbo build. I have two of these turbos now. One has alittle shaft play and need a tune up. The other one has a badly cracked hot side housing and wasted bearings.. so it more for parts.. My third one is in the mail. I picked it up from Aptyp in trade for my adaptor kit..
      Hey Einstein57 Don't you still need kit? ;-)
      Last edited by MonkeyMadness; 02-14-2011, 11:23 AM.
      https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

No. Your going to make me an OBX style manifold adapter instead.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
          no. Your going to make me an obx style manifold adapter instead.
          [ATTACH]38468[/ATTACH]

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I have a nice manifold adapter but its for internal wastegate and I modified my turbo to be external. Its already ceramic coated so i'd hate to weld a wastegate flane on to it. I remember seeing you had already cut some downpipe flanges and a t3 flange.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
              I have a nice manifold adapter but its for internal wastegate and I modified my turbo to be external. Its already ceramic coated so i'd hate to weld a wastegate flane on to it. I remember seeing you had already cut some downpipe flanges and a t3 flange.
              I know, I was just hoping you had forgot...

Send it and the stlye 5 intake thingy and nobody will get hurt..

Comment

A/R .42 cold / .48 hot, Oil only lube and cooling. TB0630 Airsearch (Garrett)

Comment

Originally posted by eta1987 View Post
                  anyone running the stock AiResearch turbo from a 524td? I would like some input and details of your build. some pictures would be great. thanks.
                  do yourself a favor and get rid of it if you have one. It's meant for a motor that makes less power than the stock M20 - as far as airflow requirements go, it's going to be a butt plug on your motor.

it's also positively *ancient* as far as turbo tech goes. For the budget concious, buy a used Holset HX35, go to a diesel repair shop and get a rebuild kit ($40?). Maybe one of those ebay adapter manifolds - cheap, proven and effective. But at least the turbo wasn't based off 30 year old technology..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                  X