I need tips for rebuilding motor for future boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need tips for rebuilding motor for future boost

So my head gasket is starting to leak a little oil and I also have piston slap, so I decided that it's time to rebuild an m20. I sourced a good condition top end and a decent block that my friend and I plan to work on. Keep in mind in about a year I plan on putting on a turbo kit similar if not the same one as the Dedric Motorsports turbo kit making around 230hp.

From the searches I've done so far it seems like I'll be going with the MLS head gasket but I'm a little confused as to the head bolts/studs that I need.

A fellow member is selling a few kits and I'm not sure if I need to buy more than one kit? For example

Six Cylinder Head Stud Kits for $230 Shipped
    (M20/M30/M50/S50/M52/S52/S54)

Six Cylinder Main Stud Kits for $190 Shipped
    (M20/M30/M50/S50/M52/S52/S54)

Six Cylinder Rod Bolt Kits for $200 Shipped
    (M20/M50/S50/M52/S52/S54**)

Do I have to buy all three kits???

Secondly, How reliable are those "Metric blue" studs/bolts which seem to cost way less. I think I've read they go for around $40 or so.

Lastly, which site/vendor/member has the best prices on these items?

Thanks for your help.

Head stud kit is what you need. It is what holds the head to the block.

Main studs are for the main crank caps.

And rod bolt is self explanatory.

Metric blues are ok, but if you have the money I would go with the arp's.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
      Head stud kit is what you need. It is what holds the head to the block.

Main studs are for the main crank caps.

And rod bolt is self explanatory.

Metric blues are ok, but if you have the money I would go with the arp's.

thanks for the clarification.

Comment

For 230hp you really don't need anything special. Goetze head gasket and metric blues should do the job. Thats my setup and i'm over 300hp. When i shoot for 400whp i'll switch to arp's. What i would suggest is spending the money on a good clutch if you plan on doing any quick shifting in to 4th.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

you could almost hit 230 with a factory HG and stretch bolts... I wouldn't go overboard. Just get metric blues and run the factory HG. You'll be fine. Mine held fine on stretch bolts at 6 psi, but anything more than that and you really need better head bolts/studs.
          1997 540i/6 - stock
          1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
          1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

This is great information guys. I really appreciate it. Can you guys recommend the best place to buy the metric blues for the m20?

Comment

The only place i know is mcmaster carr
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                The only place i know is mcmaster carr
                Thank you

Comment

I was going to purchase an MLS head gasket soon and wondering which thickness I should get? .07", .08", .098", .12", .14"?

This would eventually be for a stage 1 turbo kit making around 250hp and possibly up to 300 max later on. Thanks

Comment

o-ring and use the stock gasket.
                    1997 540i/6 - stock
                    1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                    1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Don't go with a thicker gasket. especially on a stock M20B25, you don't need it. it will make things worse.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I take it you'll be getting the head refreshed? Then it will be based on how much gets machined off the head.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

I don't think we are going to refresh the head. We're just going to clean it and make sure all the gunk is off of it. If that is the case, the stock thickness would do?

I was looking into the o ring option but it would be difficult for me to transport the block to a local shop to have it done. The block is sitting at a friend's place where it is being worked on during the weekends.

The head was rebuilt previously so everything is supposedly in very good condition. Not sure if that'd make a difference in us choosing not to refresh the head

Comment

Working...
                          X