Best OBD1 DOHC FI management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best OBD1 DOHC FI management

Hey guys, Lets compile a list of Management Systems for FI DOHC motors.

Im at the point of needing management and will be going OBD1 after much consideration.

Im looking for the name of the management,reliability,ease of tuning(if any) and overall comments good or bad.

Plus list your setup, here ill start

OBD2 S52
    36lb injectors
    Hx35 Holset
    External wastegate(tial 38mm)
    Stock Fuel pump
    Rising Rate BEGI FMU
    AEM wideband
    Split-Pulse manifold
    2.93 rear end with ZF 5 speed

7lbs of boost

Ive been easy on the setup so far for obvious reasons. Ive been keeping an eye on my A/F to keep from predetonating. Im done with that silly setup and will be going OBD1 with a real tune.

Ive been researching all the different systems but its making my head spin. Id like it all in one thread so i can decide from there.

sigpic

if you are good with electronics, MS3 will do everything an S52 is capable of doing.\

you can also have the OBDII (or OBDI) ecu tuned by TRM, but remote tuning can be a pain sometimes.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea, i was toying with the idea of megasquirt. Already looked at TRM, While the proper way to do it. Its a little on the pricy side of things.
      sigpic

Comment

What about this?
        sigpic

Comment

wow that is overpriced...
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            wow that is overpriced...
            How is that over priced? It is very competitive...

Comment

It's my opinion. You're free to yours. ;)
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The base tune is safe for 5 - 20 PSI right out of the box!
                That sounds like it's a pretty sorted tune.

So TRM doesn't have a basic one size fits all type of tune?
                It has to be remote dyno tuned?
                Last edited by LowR3V'in; 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                  That sounds like it's a pretty sorted tune.

So TRM doesn't have a basic one size fits all type of tune?
                  I has to be remote dyno tuned?

Both packages need to be fine tuned for most applications. However, the way the tuning works with these setups allows you to easily run 5 psi or 20 psi on the base tune.

Massaging the base tune will optimize things for your specific car though.

Comment

So you're offering a nice safe benchmark that is drivable, but the user should take it to a dyno for maximum awesome?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                      So you're offering a nice safe benchmark that is drivable, but the user should take it to a dyno for maximum awesome?
                      Yes, the driver should also take it there to make sure everything is A-OK with their set up and corresponding tune.

Comment

Go with a megasquirt. It's full standalone and will do everything you need (and more). If you really want, you can run someone else's map, but to get it right you'll need to take it to the dyno - and that goes for any tune.
                        1997 540i/6 - stock
                        1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                        1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

i've been running a base FI tune from trm for the past 6 months on my turblow m50. yes I know they are local and a fine tune is just a phone call away. i'm just lazy

Comment

yea, weighing all of my options i am going to go with the Miller Performance parts. Brody seems to be up to snuff on all of my questions and is quick to answer.

Unless someone comes up with a way better option that includes MAF and injectors WITH base tune and chip LMK.

I dont have the patience for megasquirt. That was one of the first things i researched and did so in depth. The more i got to looking into it the more i lost confidence.

We will see how this goes, It doesnt look like i will be disappointed but i will definitely post my feedback. First thoughts,customer service,long term, ease of use etc....
                            sigpic

Comment

MS is definitely not for everyone. Personally I wouldn't pay over $1k for basically a piggy back and an off the shelf tune. It sounds like a good fit for you though. Not everyone wants or needs full control of every tiny aspect, it can be overwhelming when you just want to drive the car and have everything work.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X