low boost turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low boost turbo questions

im new to the turbo game and considering doing a low boost turbo.. most likley using a rebuilt factory saab turbo or the like. my quesions are

: what kind of injectors and electronics would be best? also, would an intercooler been necessary?

thanks, duncan

your best off just staying n/a homie. good luck

Comment

Figure out how much power you want to make, and build your setup accordingly. Also, before you post again, use your search button at the top of the page, as this question has been asked half a million times (exaggeration on the number, but not by much). Read up to what everyone else has done/used and then start your planning. But to get down to it, most people will tell you Megasquirt for management, and injectors depend on how much power you want to make (close to 1cc per hp, but not exact). The intercooler is a good idea. It cools down the intake temperatures and helps prevent detonation (and improves hp since the air is cooler/more dense)
      85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Holset HY35

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

You can do a low boost build without MS.

Get a chip. Let's start off with the TCD chip. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Then for fuel you will want to get 24lb (minimum) to 30lb (maximum) injectors. The stock motronic can only handle 30lb injectors. For controlling how much fuel each injector pumps out you will want an RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator). A great RRFPR is a begi 2025. Then, adjust fuel pressure and attach the RRFPR to a vac source (intake manifold). For precise A/F monitoring, you will want a wideband o2 sensor. Innovate makes great products. Widebands are absolutely essential. And yes, there is no reason to not run an intercooler. Plus, they look kinda cool ;)

Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
            You can do a low boost build without MS.

Get a chip. Let's start off with the TCD chip. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Then for fuel you will want to get 24lb (minimum) to 30lb (maximum) injectors. The stock motronic can only handle 30lb injectors. For controlling how much fuel each injector pumps out you will want an RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator). A great RRFPR is a begi 2025. Then, adjust fuel pressure and attach the RRFPR to a vac source (intake manifold). For precise A/F monitoring, you will want a wideband o2 sensor. Innovate makes great products. Widebands are absolutely essential. And yes, there is no reason to not run an intercooler. Plus, they look kinda cool ;)

Good luck man.
            Yes I run a flashed chip 29lb injector and 8lb of boost its a great car.
            Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
            http://raceskids.com/

Comment

rising rate reg was what i was planning to do. i realize my first post was quite vague.. i plan to do about 5-7 pounds of boost, and dont want to do a full ecu upgrade.

jay- where exactly did you hook up th vaccum line from the intake manifold to the reg? like where on your intake is it connected?

thanks for the input guys, and i have put in quite a bit of research.. just trying to get some new input

Comment

Most people get their source of vacum from the back of the intake manifold. That triangle cap.

Comment

This is shit that you should know before you start buying recommendations from people

Know what each part of the turbo system does. What does a wastegate do? Blow off valve? How does each work? How are you going to get the car idling at stoich? Whats the best size intercooler? Do you have plastic bumpers, or diving boards? Spark plugs, what are you going to run? NGK's? Good idea. Where are you getting your oil feed? Where will you drain the oil? What size hose? What are you going to do about the breather hose? Get a 5/8" hose and run it down to the ground? Again, good idea. Catch cans will give you nothing but trouble. What gauges are you going to have? Oil pressure, boost, and wideband = good starting point. What headbolts/studs are you going to use? 2.5" exhaust, or 3" (go 3"). What manifold will you be using? Stock clutch?

There are more, but these are the basic things I wish I would have researched more before I started buying parts.

Comment

I've got some lightly used summit 30lb injectors, TCD turbo chip, and Begi RRFPR already adjusted to the injectors for up to 14lbs of boost with your name all over it. PM me if you decide to go the chip route.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                      I've got some lightly used summit 30lb injectors, TCD turbo chip, and Begi RRFPR already adjusted to the injectors for up to 14lbs of boost with your name all over it. PM me if you decide to go the chip route.
                      Do it.

Comment

I wish I had a 325i so I could do an easy low boost setup :( Best of luck to you OP!
                        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

You can.
                          Step 1) place car on craigslist
                          Step 2) acquire funds
                          step 3) buy 325i
                          step 4) apply boost
                          step 5) repeat step 4 as necessary
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

i agree with einstein57 how ever i have a 318 i bought a 325 for 100 and swaped it out its so easy

Comment

Originally posted by custom e30 View Post
                              your best off just staying n/a homie. good luck
                              Nice F-ing advice; look do like they are saying take it slow and read on what other people are doing. My advice is to get some 270cc a chip burned by a local tuner and have fun!!! Building and tuning is a long process but READ READ READ! I have been playing with my turbo set-up for four years now and still i learn new things everyday.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X