Turbo 325e (85), Safe Power Levels/Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Yeah under 10psi is baby stuff. :)
    It's going to need some sort of engine management even if it's a fmu.
    Not doable.

First of all what's your budget?
    We can tell you exactly what you need but then if you're broke it kind of a waste.

Comment

Has anyone tried tuning a turbo m20b25 on motronic 1.0? I am contemplating doing a 1.3 switch and going turbo or just running it with the 35 pin 1.0 board, the major benefit would be the stomp test and having megasquirt with a 55 pin board
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

From what people have been telling me in the past, just go with megasquirt. You can still run it NA and don't have to waste time and money tinkering with an eBay chip and afpr. Because just those 2 things alone will cost half of the megasquirt alone.
        Originally posted by audiquattrot
        bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
        1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
        2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
        1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
        2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
          If you want 8-12 psi then you're going to need aftermarket engine management like Megasquirt. Trying to get it to run right is like making applesauce with lemons. Also, most people don't consider 8-12 psi all that low of boost. ;)
          I don't know. Everyone I know but you is happy with anything less then 14lbs. Seems like 18psi is the new 8.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
            Has anyone tried tuning a turbo m20b25 on motronic 1.0? I am contemplating doing a 1.3 switch and going turbo or just running it with the 35 pin 1.0 board, the major benefit would be the stomp test and having megasquirt with a 55 pin board
            I don't think you can... I'm pretty sure motronic 1.0 will look for the CPS on the transmission, not the front of the engine, hence why you upgrade the harness/ECU when you do the 885 head swap.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
              I don't think you can... I'm pretty sure motronic 1.0 will look for the CPS on the transmission, not the front of the engine, hence why you upgrade the harness/ECU when you do the 885 head swap.
              thanks, but my 86 ix already comes with an 885, so i am a bit confused how it all works since it is not an eta
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

idk but my eta flowed pretty well past 4500 to 4950 rpms. When I dyno'd it ( yes i dynoed a ETA ) my peak HP was at 4900 and peak TQ at 1800rpms.

i think a garret t25 from a sr20 should be just fine with a eta. Boosting at 2k up to 5 :D

Comment

a t25 will boost 10psi by 1500rpm. I drove a turbo m20 b25 with a t28 and it hit 9psi by 2000rpm. No ideal if you ever plan on taking the car on the freeway.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

If I went that small I'd go with twin turbz...honestly debating doing a small single though. Just 6psi on a decent sized turbo. I can't afford engine management just yet so it'll have to be a 6psi wastegate spring and I'll let the stock computer control things. Just a little something to make the car more fun!

Comment

Just stopping by to say I have a begi rising rate fuel pressure regulator for sale for 100 bucks if your going that route. I was gonna use it with my turbo m50 but I am going megasquirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
                        Just stopping by to say I have a begi rising rate fuel pressure regulator for sale for 100 bucks if your going that route. I was gonna use it with my turbo m50 but I am going megasquirt.
                        I'm not gonna mess with an rrfpr, I've gone that route with a past car before and always hated it (turbo oldsmobile alero). Thanks though. If I go above 6lbs it'll be strait to megasquirt if I took this car that far.

Comment

Originally posted by NickAlero View Post
                          If I went that small I'd go with twin turbz...honestly debating doing a small single though. Just 6psi on a decent sized turbo. I can't afford engine management just yet so it'll have to be a 6psi wastegate spring and I'll let the stock computer control things. Just a little something to make the car more fun!
                          Sounds fun, show pictures of the aftermath when your pistons burn up!
                          85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

If your looking for a small turbo then the smallest i'd go is off the 87 volvo 740. It was designed for a 2.3l motor so 2.5 should not be too big of a stretch. From what i've heard its similar to a t28 but t3 flanged. Check out the original war bird build.

This site is created to document the progress of me and my cousin's 1988 BMW 325IS turbo built exclusively for the GRM challenge. It will begin with all of the older pics from the build and Challenge competition in 2007, and continue with the car in its current state of progress.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

I'm running a td03-12a Mitsubishi turbo, eBay manni, stock exhaust, eBay intercooler kit, Fmu, 24#, walbro 255, eBay bullshit turbo chip, and a safc2, lc1. All together cost me about $600. Tuned it myself, and I have a slight lean at around 6k. And I hit 9 psi at about 2800. Now a 12a is smaller than a t25. So I can't see how you hit boost at 2000. The power is just right, withe the small turbo there's no lag, and it plenty of fun on the streets. When a save aup a few bucks I'll jump the the 30#, and I'll be all set..
                              Proud Owner and Operator.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'd have to say there is something not right with your turbo or too much restriction in your exhaust. Although the 2.79lsd might have a little to do with it. But even still my biggish T4 on a log manigold hits 9psi by about 3k rpm in 5th gear with a 3.73, 1bar by 3500. Ocgrinders decent sized t3 hits 1bar by 3200 with a 3.25lsd. Perhaps that's the difference between an ebay tune and full standalone.

On a side note my e28 hits 14psi by 2100rpm up hill with a small t3.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Working...
                                X