Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay 6-2-1 manifold, does it need reinforcing

Hey all

does the ebay 6-2-1 need reinforcing? like a solid bar from the turbo to the flange?

i got it for about $150 with a bunch of other shit, flange is on right way, ports arent off. they are only having a 1mm lip from the gasket or so but the port on the head is that diameter anyway. just a cheap option. cant use 2-1 here and a tcd is 3/4 a grand landed..
    RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
    89' 318i

What engine is it?

Comment

He has an m20.
      Being an eBay manifold with the thin stainless steel material. I think bracing it would help prevent crackinng. Iirc dmcl on e30tech braced his 6-2-1 eBay manifold. Check out his thread I think there is a photo showing what he did.
      If you end up deciding to play it safe, drop off the manifold down by my work we should be able brace the manifold for you without much trouble.

Comment

i cant weld so id be paying someone to do it, and the brace hes got i would have thought the angle of it wouldnt have done much help.

more just want to know wether it is needed or not, or wether the bracing will help stop the cracking.
        RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
        89' 318i

Comment

mine is the same type and has been braced like dmcl's
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Brace it.
            I had one crack on me under the turbo flange.

Comment

I haven't braced mine.... 5 years daily driven, track events and drift events, 45k miles and all. Wouldn't hurt to brace it however, for peace of mind.

EDIT: Detail I just remembered - I have media blasted the manifold with al oxide, so the peening action might have strengthened the welds and tubes.

Derek
              DedericMS

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
              X