Besides TIAL. What's the best BOV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides TIAL. What's the best BOV?

excluding tial bov's, which i have found to be peoples favorite but really pricey, what would be the ideal or preferred BOV for a 24v e30? one that has a great sound, not just a simple quiet whoosh, and one thats under $100.

boost goal: 8-15psi
    wastegate: tial 44mm
    turbo: garret gt35r

I didnt find a thread where BOV's were compared and contrasted so I figured this would be a useful thread for people new to the turbo world.
    thanks for any input

here are some examples for reference

type-S:

type-RS:

HKS SQV:

generic wyntonm BOV:

Type-S
    12.50%
    Type-RS
    12.50%
    HKS SQV
    50.00%
    Generic Wyntonm
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

You're okay with replicas?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

what do you mean? from what i have read, people seem pretty pleased with they wyntonm products.

Comment

LOL yeah get a replica anything and tell me how that works out. leaky pieces of shit, and they usually won't vent properly.

get a genuine SSQV and you won't be disappointed, unless you hate the sound. It vents even in vac, and high boost situations I never had a problem on a TD04-15G running 16psi, full boost lifts.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
          what do you mean? an ebay cheapo vs. an actual Greddy?
          I mean, I guess. The HKS says it's adjustable up to 30psi in the description, when it's obviously a pull-type BOV which isn't adjustable.
          That doesn't concern you of the quality?

I'd fork the money and get a Synapse.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
            what do you mean? from what i have read, people seem pretty pleased with they wyntonm products.
            I mean sure, but come on. You have a 24v turbo e30. Spend the extra cheese and be better insured with a proper BOV for your investment.
            You don't want boost leaks. You don't want compressor surge.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
              LOL yeah get a replica anything and tell me how that works out. leaky pieces of shit, and they usually won't vent properly.

get a genuine SSQV and you won't be disappointed, unless you hate the sound. It vents even in vac, and high boost situations I never had a problem on a TD04-15G running 16psi, full boost lifts.
              is this a genuine SSQV? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sales-HKS-Su...ht_6046wt_1051
              this is what i get when i type in HKS SSQV into ebay.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              I mean sure, but come on. You have a 24v turbo e30. Spend the extra cheese and be better insured with a proper BOV for your investment.
              You don't want boost leaks. You don't want compressor surge.
              i definitely don't want compressor surge! i think its so funny watching youtube video's and hearing compressor surge and people comment saying that their BOV sounds great. haha

quality is a concern, im just going off of what people have said from their experience with the ebay BOV's.

thats why I made this thread to get poeple like you to share your input.

so a synapse like this would be sufficient?

Comment

Yes, that Synapse is excellent.
                The HKS you posted is fake.

"What you see is what you get", lol.
                In the picture it shows the recirculative tip, though it doesn't mention it in the description.
                "For turbo and non-turbo vehicles", lol?
                And last, it's only $50. wat.

If you want a genuine HKS, go to the manufacture itself.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  Yes, that Synapse is excellent.
                  The HKS you posted is fake.

"What you see is what you get", lol.
                  In the picture it shows the recirculative tip, though it doesn't mention it in the description.
                  "For turbo and non-turbo vehicles", lol?
                  And last, it's only $50. wat.

If you want a genuine HKS, go to the manufacture itself.
                  haha ok, thats what i figured. it seemed to good to be true. i guess i'll just save up some more $$ and go with the synapse. i could buy it now, but i have other parts that are a higher priority right now.

And I should most definitely go with a tial wastegate too? others have tried convincing me that an ebay tial knockoff is ok, but i'm assuming otherwise.

Comment

Hit or miss man. I blew two wastegate diaphragms on two separate wastegates that were knockoffs. Two of my friends are using the same wastegate I had with 0 problems with higher hp/psi. Boost spike without noticing = destroys engines.

Now with the new tial mvr, I'm a happy camper.
                    Water cooled is probably over-kill, but tial is good.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I got a RFL one. No diaphrams.

Comment

I've gone through a turbo xs, two fake HKS SSQVs, and now have a real HKS SSQV.

I like it but am a bit tired of the sound, so I'm going Synchronic from Synapse pretty soon. The fakes worked well at first but didn't last long. Turbo XS was good but only had one real release point, you had to tune it somewhere in the middle. Too high and it wouldn't blow off lower pressure, too low and you'd leak past 20 psi.
                        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

is it pretty loud and obnoxious? From the video's on youtube they all sound super high pitched squeel type thing. i did think it was pretty cool you could switch out the inserts though.

How long did the fakes work?

Comment

The knock off diapharm units usually leak causing compressor surge from not actuation. The wynton unit is pretty solid though. I have one on my shelf.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

SSQVs are popular. I always thought they sound like shit. Dont get a replica. Look at greddy and blitz. I had a blitz dual drive that i liked alot. Synapse BOV's are getting more popular. Most importantly get something that is functional and not a piece of crap.
                              Past: 1987 325iS, Bilsteins - HR Sports

Present: 1999 M3, Koni Yellows - HR Sports - GC Camber Plates - UUC Swaybars - UUC SSK - AFE Intake - Stromung Catback

2009 Mazdaspeed3, Short Ram Intake - Turbo Inlet Pipe - 2nd cat Delete - Catback - Fuel Pump Internals - Cobb Accessport - Stratified E30 tune - 294/342 - SPC Camber Arms - CPE Rear Motor Mount

Comment

Working...
                              X