No announcement yet.

Besides TIAL. What's the best BOV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was reading a thread on e30tech and a few were bashing to greddy type-s pretty hard. i found one on ebay for a decent price and almost bought it till i read that thread. i really want a genuine hks or synapse but i cant come close to affording that right now. i need to save to make sure i can buy a TIAL 44mm wastegate.

whats the connection with quality of WG to BOV? i know it'd be best to get tial WG and BOV but finances are limited.
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

is this legit?

Comment

Wastegate quality is pretty damn important because of the heat and pressure it endures. You also don't want to get boost creep. A bad wastegate blows up your motor. A bad BOV chews up your turbo from compressor surge. Turbo rebuild is cheaper then a motor rebuild. All that being said i'm running a $20 greddy rs knock off with a tial wastegate. I removed one of the two springs inside to compensate for it being a leak SOB. But it works.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
          Wastegate quality is pretty damn important because of the heat and pressure it endures. You also don't want to get boost creep. A bad wastegate blows up your motor. A bad BOV chews up your turbo from compressor surge. Turbo rebuild is cheaper then a motor rebuild. All that being said i'm running a $20 greddy rs knock off with a tial wastegate. I removed one of the two springs inside to compensate for it being a leak SOB. But it works.

ok great. thanks for the info. I bought a wyntonm 50mm BOV on ebay, we'll see how that goes. And then i have a tial 44mm wastegate, so that should work pretty nice. When $$ makes it possible i will be getting a nicer quality BOV when the time comes.

that BOV sounds awesome in the vid. Do you know what one he it is? or is that your car? ha

Comment

To do it again, I would probably do a pair of bypass valves, one between the compressor and intercooler, and another before the throttle body.

I really like my Synapse, though. No homo turkey call noises, just whoosh. No surge either...well, maybe just a tiny hint when letting off at low rpm, minimal MAP (have heard the Tials do this too). It's not something I'm worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
              ok great. thanks for the info. I bought a wyntonm 50mm BOV on ebay, we'll see how that goes. And then i have a tial 44mm wastegate, so that should work pretty nice. When $$ makes it possible i will be getting a nicer quality BOV when the time comes.

that BOV sounds awesome in the vid. Do you know what one he it is? or is that your car? ha
              good luck, I like my wyntonm stuff.
              1997 540i/6 - stock
              1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
              1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post
                To do it again, I would probably do a pair of bypass valves, one between the compressor and intercooler, and another before the throttle body.

I really like my Synapse, though. No homo turkey call noises, just whoosh. No surge either...well, maybe just a tiny hint when letting off at low rpm, minimal MAP (have heard the Tials do this too). It's not something I'm worried about.
                I wanted to do that, but I can't really imagine how you would recirc both hoses back before the MAF cleanly?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Get one from Mitch (Noscoe30) on tech. They make them at Mode where he works. His design and most of the guys that have them love'em.

edit: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88844

Originally posted by Roysneon
                  $5 shipped?
                  Originally posted by MarkD
                  You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    I wanted to do that, but I can't really imagine how you would recirc both hoses back before the MAF cleanly?
                    Recirc? What are you, some kind of hippie?:p Sorry though, mine just dumps because I'm running a MAP system. Weld a couple of bungs on some IC pipe, pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post
                      Recirc? What are you, some kind of hippie?:p Sorry though, mine just dumps because I'm running a MAP system. Weld a couple of bungs on some IC pipe, pretty easy.
                      lolol.

Yeah, but it has to be recirculated between the maf and turbo right?
                      How does that work with a bpv unit on each side of the cooler plumbing? Just a long ass hose?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

My suggestion was just based on eliminating compressor surge--releasing pressure at both ends of the intake tract simultaneously. Gotta make some compromises to not have hoses and crap going everywhere. I doubt most of us would need 2, anyway. I'd just buy the $20 VW p/n.

Pretty sure it has to go before the MAF so the air is metered...

Comment

I thought it goes after the MAF because it was already metered? So the new air going thru the MAF expects the old air that was recirc'd to be there already?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            I thought it goes after the MAF because it was already metered? So the new air going thru the MAF expects the old air that was recirc'd to be there already?
                            yeah. lets get this setup nailed down and clearly explained so future readers can learn from this thread.

A bunch of people on e30tech were talking about dual bpv's and i was just so new to that idea i chose to go with a single bov. Looking back, i think i will be changing to dual bpv in the near future.

so, who ever is/has running dual bpv, pics would be great.

Comment

Ok, I just confused myself. Originally, I thought this
                              if the BPV is after the MAF, it needs to return to the air to after the MAF. If it's before the MAF, it can return to a point before the MAF (compressor inlet would work) or vent to atmosphere.
                              But now I'm thinking that a blow through setup needs to have the BPV or BOV before the MAF since the entire return path is under pressure. For a draw through setup, the BPV can be placed after the maf and return air to the compressor inlet. Correct?
                              1997 540i/6 - stock
                              1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                              1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

BPV returns in between the compressor inlet and the MAF.
                                If it's blow thru, it can blow to atmosphere.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X