Noob Supercharger help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob Supercharger help?

okay i plan on doing an i head swap on my eta and 1.3 motronic, all that jazz to get the higher rev limit etc.

but i would like to put a small CARB legal Supercharger on it to have a nice even power curve and they seem simpler to install

my question is i would not like to do a ton ecu wise like could i just get a chip tuned for the supercharger to run on motronic or get a PNP kit to plug into the 1.3 wiring harness that i could pass off as stock?

it just needs to pass sniffer and visual in California so CARB legal stuff, which is why i dont wanna go nuts with stuff just a 190-210hp DD

ive looked online for info but most related to standalone and turbo stuff

also i am gonna go with an electronic PS pump from a yota MR2 so that is probably where i would mount the SupaCharga

Did you check this?

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

yea i was reading that after i posted this so i will probably do a W.A.R but i wanted to more along the lines if can this get refereed in cali or make it easily reversable every two years

Comment

With that little boost the gain you will get/feel is mostly tourqe, and stock emm is up to the job.

Comment

yea i dont want anything nuts but just enough to make my eta not feel so SLOWWWW.....
          so another 80 or so HP sounds pretty modest gain and but i didnt just wanna stop at stock i specs

could i even use the stock eta stuff? maybe switch to 1.3 wiring and swap in better valve springs and rockers? also plan of goin 3.xx LSD too and since the eta revs pretty low i was thinking i could just use the small Merc SC and i probably would not have to worry about leaning out at higher RPMs

it just seems that SC seems the easiest and or cheapest route to go for the HP and Torque gain

Comment

Dont know your eta and us models, but a stock european will take 0,3 bar of boost with all original. Both early and late models. Above that you will need to retard ign and add fuel.

Comment

the eta is the m20b27 i cant remeber the exact head number but stock one. that is about how much i would probably want to run 4lbs+-
              like i said nothing too crazy
              Last edited by kickinindian; 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Isnt the b27 low compression? If so, boost it.. :)

Comment

im pretty sure but i cant go nuts without knowing what i can get away with where i live im thinking if i can get rid of the PS pump and go electric and install the SC there and have it go into a SAAB intercooler then go into the stock afm and be good hopefully but be able to take out the SC and install the stock airbox for smogging every other year

Comment

how much could you estimate or a web page i could be pointed to to see how much HP and torque i would gain?

Comment

You should mount the blower on exhaust side and get a ic with as few bends on pipes as you can get..
                      Dont know centrifugal (belt driven turbos) superchargers to mutch, but twin scrolls "use" about 30 hp to turn.

So, its kinda easy and not exactly, 1 Bar boost = HP x 2 - 30 hp.

Comment

well i was thinking going with the small m62 or a supercharger off a toyota previa van it seems like centrifugal are better for top end but twin screw and roots are better for low end? and thats kinda what i want so would i be able to make my goal to add 70-90 hp or would i need to do the head swap and get the stock i head and 1.3 motronic etc.

btw thanks kvasi for answering all of my questions ive never done any of this and im just trying to learn as much as i can

Comment

Why not motor swap? You'd have the same power numbers with fewer headaches...
                          '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                          '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

seems like the supercharger would be cheaper to accomplish and if i can get it right i could make it removable to be able to smog every two years

Comment

Probably not.

Swap your motor. You can make 24v swaps BAR legal in California

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X