turbo hpde/street car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo hpde/street car

so guys, I have just finished stripping the E30 I just bought getting ready for caging. this isnt my first bmw but it is my first E30. Had and GTS4 E46 m3 and now we have a E46 M3 (m52 turbo) full cage car. I know whats what when it comes to car geometry, caging, track setups, ect. but I have yet to build a bmw motor before (done some small blocks but I know thats a whole different world) my question to you is this:

im planning on boosting my E30 M20 motor (80kmiles), in your opinion
    1: should I rebuild the motor? i.e main and rod bearings, new gaskets, o-ring the block, new water and oil pump and hot tank all the compoinents?

I drove the car back from clearwater (250miles or so) and it drove perfect except two things, 1 it had an oil leak from the pan gasket(easy fix) and the engine wouldnt rev all the way to the limiter(tuning issue I think)

2: should I just fix the oil leak, check the compression, boost it (all turbo things included, fuel pump, injectors, ect.) and get a good tune?

only looking for about 10lbs from a holset hx35

3: do just headgaskets, crank scraper, arp head studs the turbo it

BTW hello everyone loving all the info here

... you have an E46 M3 with a boosted M52?

Comment

yeah

Comment

Option 3, IF YOU NEED FURTHER HELP CONTACT CONDOR SPEED SHOP (SLIENCE) OR WOT-TECH (FORCEFIREBIRD) THEY ARE BOTH BASED OUT OF FT. LAUDERDALE, AND HAVE TURBO´S PLENTY OF CARS. THEY CAN HELP WITH ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.

Sorry for the caps

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I think an hx35 is too big for only 10psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Wilson View Post
              so guys, I have just finished stripping the E30 I just bought getting ready for caging. this isnt my first bmw but it is my first E30. Had and GTS4 E46 m3 and now we have a E46 M3 (m52 turbo) full cage car. I know whats what when it comes to car geometry, caging, track setups, ect. but I have yet to build a bmw motor before (done some small blocks but I know thats a whole different world) my question to you is this:

im planning on boosting my E30 M20 motor (80kmiles), in your opinion
              1: should I rebuild the motor? i.e main and rod bearings, new gaskets, o-ring the block, new water and oil pump and hot tank all the compoinents?

I drove the car back from clearwater (250miles or so) and it drove perfect except two things, 1 it had an oil leak from the pan gasket(easy fix) and the engine wouldnt rev all the way to the limiter(tuning issue I think)

2: should I just fix the oil leak, check the compression, boost it (all turbo things included, fuel pump, injectors, ect.) and get a good tune?

only looking for about 10lbs from a holset hx35

3: do just headgaskets, crank scraper, arp head studs the turbo it

BTW hello everyone loving all the info here
              Do you run NASA? If so, awesome!

The bottom end is stout as it is, if you go putting ARP down there, expect spending some cash on machine work to re-size the rods and align boring. We have safely boosted 12psi with a stock head gasket, one of our local buddies is running the stock gasket and ARP's only and he seems to be holding up well at 15psi. The race car has an IJ scraper, ARP studs and Cometic gasket and has been surviving beatings on the track. We also have a client running around at 8psi with Cometic/ARP.

For a bare minimum build, go with the OEM BMW head gasket and studs. The race car has direct fit ARP's and my old car has cut down studs for another application. We have accounts with ARP, Cometic BMW, and have two of the best machinists that we use, one for cylinder heads and the other for blocks and rotating assemblies. IF you are ever in FtLauderdale area, you should come by!

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
              Option 3, IF YOU NEED FURTHER HELP CONTACT CONDOR SPEED SHOP (SLIENCE) OR WOT-TECH (FORCEFIREBIRD) THEY ARE BOTH BASED OUT OF FT. LAUDERDALE, AND HAVE TURBO´S PLENTY OF CARS. THEY CAN HELP WITH ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.

Sorry for the caps
              Thanks!

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
              I think an hx35 is too big for only 10psi.
              What?!?!?! How many Holsets have you put on m20's and ran them at 10psi?
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

It's hard to answer your question considering all the variables.
                The m20 is a great boost happy platform, but there is more too it.
                To be honest you need to research more, soak up some knowledge, and come back with more specific questions.

In a nutshell, an m20 with arp head studs and a great tune can handle 10psi stock with ease. But again, too many variables to take this advice head on and all out.

& you're also in luck to have FFirebird near by to help you out.

Welcome to r3v :P

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I've been DDing mine and auto-x'ing it every month. The only thing I've done motor wise is add ARP headstuds and I've been boosting to 20psi everyday for the last few weeks without issues, before that I was DDing at 17psi for a few months.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Sounds like a build just like mine. Caged, turbo, etc. For the street and track. I can tell you that stock head gaskets with studs dont like 20lbs of boost, neither does you clutch. lol I made it about 1000 miles. Ten pounds of boost, plenty of guys do that on stock hardware.

Comment

I am sure there is more info elsewhere... What numbers do most make on a modest 10 or so lbs?

Also to the OP. Post up some pictures! Would love to see some of your work.

Comment

Originally posted by future rs View Post
                        I am sure there is more info elsewhere... What numbers do most make on a modest 10 or so lbs?

Also to the OP. Post up some pictures! Would love to see some of your work.
                        I would guess about 250-280hp easily

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                        X