Pcv valve on a turbo m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pcv valve on a turbo m20

I am assembling my e bottom i head, and I read somewhere that most guys recommend venting the pcv for turbo cars. Me honestly, would rather not have to check up on a catch can and that nonsense. However the argument seemed pointless, it was something along the lines of:

"instead of having the oil and blowby go to the intake and possibly out through the turbo again, they recommended venting to atmostphere to not contaminate the turbo"

I am really wondering how bad it would really even be to just reuse the oil since its not really getting that much dirtier, it was just in the crankcase. I just cleaned up the pcv nicely and would rather have less things to worry about.

What do you guys recommend? Oem setup or catchcan?

Oem setup will not pull vacuum on the crankcase once turboed, neither will a catchcan with a filter. If you route it to your turbo intake, it will still pull vacuum. There are other ways to do it, but this is the easiest.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Is this really necessary to reroute or can I keep the oem setup?

Comment

Plenty of good info here:http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109331

cliffs: dump it to atmosphere, or run it pre-turbo with a decent filter/catch can.

Anything but the oem setup.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Definitely not oem you will be boosting your crank case. Not good.

Dump it or run a filter and put it pre turbo.

Comment

People dump to atmosphere cause they are lazy. Self included.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Just for some reinforcement, I'll say it too.
              Do not do the OEM setup. It will pressurize the crankcase and blow every seal you can think of :p
              Run atmosphere for laziness and smellyness.
              Run pre-turbo to pull vacuum.

Put a can if running pre-turbo.
              Every month and a half of driving, I literally pour out only as much as those Scope Mouthwash caps/cups can hold. It's nothing. I don't even know why I check every month.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

So just to clear things up, I am keeping the pcv tube on the drivers side of the engine correct? It goes from the block to the intake manifold, and spring loaded.

When people put a catch can, they are really just changing the upper pcv hose? So from the valve cover just run to a catch can instead of running the oem hose? And then just plug the port on the throttle body?

Comment

Smh

Comment

Sorry for some reason this wasn't clicking in my head. I'm used to just reading about moving pcv valves. I also kept thinking guys deleted the oil return tube/pcv tube on the drivers side that goes from the block to intake mani. I am probably taking the lazy route for the time being thanks

Comment

either run to the exhaust or turbo inlet.
                      catch can to exhaust

or just straight vc to turbo inlet.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                        either run to the exhaust or turbo inlet.
                        catch can to exhaust

or just straight vc to turbo inlet.
                        Any picture out there of clean A-N lines from the breather on turbo’ed m20s going to the exhaust?
                        The smell of an open atmosphere catchcan is starting to get tiresome.

Comment

+1 on the pictures. I would like to see some simple setups. im currently venting to atmosphere and hate the smell/ residue it leaves everywhere.

Comment

Run a long line under the car/firewall - that got rid of the smell for me

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

would running it into the turbo cause any problems for the health of the turbo. I have no problems running it under the car. it may very well be the way I go at this point, just curious what effect running it pre turbo would have on vac to the crankcase/ engine as a whole?

Comment

Working...
                              X