What turbo to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What turbo to run?

Hello, im nearing the end of my turbo build but im kinda starting to think of switching turbos. Currently i have it all plumbed to run a garret t3t4 60/63 but i also have a hy35 and hx35 laying around. This is a dedicated track car and drift mobile. Im going to be running low boost for now at 10psi and i want a turbo that will spool quick and not fall off.

Heres my setup
    Fresh M20b27
    super eta bottom end
    I head
    Arp studs
    ms2v2 w/ wasted spark
    #36 injectors
    revshift adapter
    turbonetics 38mm wastegate

Anyone running holsets or a garret 60/63 on there m20 please enlighten me on how your car reacts to the turbo!

Thankyou
    Last edited by 4ce30; 05-29-2013, 11:12 PM.
    sigpic

I have a t3/t4 60/63, but what really matters is the internal trim of the compressor/turbine itself.
    I believe mine is a 60 trim from what I can remember, and hit full boost around 4.2k or so.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Mine is a 60 aswell, 4200 is a little later than I was hoping for. I bet I could get the hy35 spooling quicker than that...
      sigpic

Comment

Throw a disco potato on it

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

I have two turbo E30s I helped build running gt28 .60,.63A/R turbos and they both creep into boost around 2k and full boost by like 3k. Both are 2.7 builds one runs a ported head with a cam and they both hold boost until redline no problem.
            My gt35 doesnt get full boost until 5k:(

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
              I have two turbo E30s I helped build running gt28 .60,.63A/R turbos and they both creep into boost around 2k and full boost by like 3k. Both are 2.7 builds one runs a ported head with a cam and they both hold boost until redline no problem.
              Yeee. And that's what I meant by you need to know internal trim.
              60/63 housings can't tell the full story.

Honestly though, throw an sr20 turbo on it for quick spool/tq for the derfting needs. Cheap and reliable.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

HX35 starts to spool at about 3k, not soon after shes at full boost. With a non ebay manifold im sure she would spool a bit lower.
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

AK is only 2.5 though. Should spool quicker on a 2.7
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Great feedback, thankyou! Im going to do some research on the hy35 and compare to my garret. I dont want the late spool of the hx i need a quicker/longer powerband even if i make less power!
                    sigpic

Comment

If you are running an external wastegate and worried mostly about spool I would run the HY. It has a 9cm^2 exhaust housing vs the 12cm^2 of the HX(holset doesnt use AR but if you look around there are some conversions), but does have a slightly smaller impeller (54mm v 56mm I think) so it won't flow quite as much.

Truthfully though if I were you I'd search for a good condition HE351CW. It's a 60/60/9 so flows way more then the HX but has a nice tight exhaust housing for quick spool and a more efficient design. Also note the HE351CW does not have a divided exhaust housing.

5.9 cummins from 04.5 to 07 will have this turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                        Wow. You need a twin scroll. My gt4094 was making full boost of 20 at 4500. And that was on a 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                          Wow. You need a twin scroll. My gt4094 was making full boost of 20 at 4500. And that was on a 2.5
                          This. I have data logs showing 11psi at 2800rpm on a Schwitzer S256 twin scroll.
                          -----------------
                          89 M50B28 turbo
                          LINKY
                          -----------------

Comment

What about the OE Evo X twin scroll? Forgive me. I am ignorant when it comes to turbos. But OE Evo X turbos are a dime a dozen these days. A 6k unit on my Ralliart forums for $450 right now.

TD05HA-152G6-12T
                            Compressor: 12 blade (6 full/6 splitter), 68mm diameter, 48 Trim
                            Turbine: 12 blade, 56mm,76Trim
                            Turbine Housing A/R: 10.5cm^2

Comment

Cause.....Well just look at it.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X