Why Holset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Holset

Ok so ive read the holset Q thread and it didnt really seem to answer my question, but than again maybe my build is a tad different than other peoples... anyway, why does everyone seem to use holset turbo chargers on the m20? more reliable? less wear? lower boost options?

For my (future) m20 build i do plan on going somwhere near the 500 hp range... no flack please i already know im :loco: in the head. but why not use a smaller garrett turbo or precision or something of that nature?? or hell... will holsets produce and hold the 500 hp range... really just trying to see why you all use holsets as opposed to other kits and maybe point me in the right direction for my particular build.
    10 minutes... then we invade China.
    We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
    And move to the Orange chicken province.

Originally posted by 1owNslo View Post
    Ok so ive read the holset Q thread and it didnt really seem to answer my question, but than again maybe my build is a tad different than other peoples... anyway, why does everyone seem to use holset turbo chargers on the m20? more reliable? less wear? lower boost options?

For my (future) m20 build i do plan on going somwhere near the 500 hp range... no flack please i already know im :loco: in the head. but why not use a smaller garrett turbo or precision or something of that nature?? or hell... will holsets produce and hold the 500 hp range... really just trying to see why you all use holsets as opposed to other kits and maybe point me in the right direction for my particular build.
    #1 Holsets costs quite a bit less than a new Garrett/Precision units. As far as making 500hp, they are very capable, I made 554whp on a HX40 for many years never had an issue, they are a very durable turbocharger for the money.
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

hmm..... interesting. cost aside tho... what makes these a more desirable unit?

Comment

They're easy to find used at a reasonable price, and cheap to rebuild or service if you ever need to. But if you're willing to spend the money on a Garrett turbo, then by all means do so!
        -Alex

Comment

i guess for me it wasnt really the.. "oh i HAVE to have garrett" or something like that. i just wanted to see what all the habub was about in regards to holset. what model would you all recommend for a higher HP application? like i said earlier im looking at somewhere in 500 hp range but i dont want something thats gonna fall apart either...

i do like that these seem to be so serviceable tho. thats definitely a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
            #1 Holsets costs quite a bit less than a new Garrett/Precision units. As far as making 500hp, they are very capable, I made 554whp on a HX40 for many years never had an issue, they are a very durable turbocharger for the money.
            this. And I would say they are among the most durable turbos PERIOD.
            1997 540i/6 - stock
            1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
            1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

well this is what im trying to figure out... WHY and WHAT makes these more durable for the power im looking to achieve??

Comment

They are durable because they are an OEM journal bearing unit. OEM units go through much more stringent testing than aftermarket stuff like Precision. Garrett ball bearing units cannot be rebuilt!

The aero on the turbine and compressor wheels is very good, and pretty much unbeatable for the cost. The Garrett GT line uses ancient technology aero for their turbines. The GTX series was just a band-aid solution to help the turbos be more efficient without much cost as its very cheap to machine a compressor wheel versus cast a new turbine wheel.

The downside to Holsets are they are huge and heavy. For the price most people can look past this though :)

For your build use an HX40.
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

thank you all for the input!! now where would i go looking to pick one up?

Comment

heres another question..... difference between HX40 and HX40W? only thing i can really see is the flange on the HX40 is a T3 flange where the HX40W is a T4 which id assume is a bigger overall turbo. what are chances of increasing turbo lag between the 40 to the 40W or is there any at all?

Comment

W usually indicates its internally wastegated. The wastegate is generally too high of pressure for petrol engines.
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

so would an external waste gate be better than?

Comment

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

^^ thanks but I think im gonna go with the HX40. but no one answered about my internal vs external waste gate question... since the pressure coming from a diesel exhaust is generally much higher than that of a gasoline engine, an external waste gate would make sense then correct? since the internal one wouldn't open due to the pressures of a gasoline powered car's exhaust are not as high? correct????

Comment

Yes you will need to run an external wastegate. You can buy a HX40 with an internal wastegate and weld the wastegate shut. Its just a lot easier to get a non-wastegate version though.
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X