From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    Rod knock will always be worse at higher RPM than lower. If it stops at 4000 RPM, it's not rod knock.
    I thought that maybe the other engine noises were masking it at higher rpm.

The thing is, nothing changed between no ping and ping. Not bad gas, two new tanks at known good gas station. Not tune (I would think), nothing has changed in the tune.

I'll look at TunerStudio and see if I can see anything...
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Audible pinging should be setting off your knock sensor.

Comment

I have no knock sensor.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Ether-D; 06-17-2014, 07:11 AM.
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I tried to make the video work, just click the link. It's only barely audible.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just pulled 7 degrees of timing across the board and it's the same. It mustn't be pinging right? I'm must be mistaking another sound for ping. Gonna go check the valve clearances now.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
              Just pulled 7 degrees of timing across the board and it's the same. It mustn't be pinging right? I'm must be mistaking another sound for ping. Gonna go check the valve clearances now.

If it wasn't making the noise before and 7 degrees removed didn't change it, it probably is not pinging. Probably.

Pinging is a dirty sound without sharp edges, a tattered sound if you will. Unlike a valve tap or rod knock which are pretty tight, crisp sounds. A rod small end or a sloppy piston pin can make a noise that sounds to me like you are describing.

I'm also going to disagree with Will and say that i have definitely heard early rod knocks that manifested themselves audibly only at a certain rpm band (usually lower rpm). The engine sounded "normal" at idle and high load/rpm. This did not last forever, and the rods eventually came out to say hi.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Yeah, when I had the rod knock on the previous motor, it started at 2500 I think. But my memory is a little foggy on this. The biggest problem with all of this is that there's nothing "new" about this whole engine. It's a mix mash of old and older parts. Makes isolating problems a little more difficult.

I read that .3mm is the "hot" valve clearance, so I'm just gonna check if one or two valves have had the eccentric slip or something.

I also changed the CPS with a spare I had and no change. Ohm-ed them both well within spec.
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Adjusted valves. About 6 were mildly loose. Made zero difference in noise. I took a vid while driving but you can't hear the noise on the iPhone video. Maybe it's the supercharger coupler, I've heard they will rattle if wearing out. Or maybe I'll get to finally meet my rods. It's not really all that loud, but it's there. I think I'm done for today.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    I thought that maybe the other engine noises were masking it at higher rpm.
                    There's no masking rod knock. Like I said, it gets way louder at higher RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                      I'm also going to disagree with Will and say that i have definitely heard early rod knocks that manifested themselves audibly only at a certain rpm band (usually lower rpm). The engine sounded "normal" at idle and high load/rpm. This did not last forever, and the rods eventually came out to say hi.
                      I may be thinking of my experience spinning rod bearings suddenly, then.

Comment

BTDubs, thanks a lot for your suggestions Will and Lorin. It really helps to have people to bounce this shit off of.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I think it's getting worse. I put 50 more miles on it this evening and I think the knock/ping/whatthefuckevernoise is lasting til the mid to late 4000s now. I just remember thinking on the last motor that the rod knock was an unmistakeable sound. When it happened, I absolutely knew what the sound was. Now that motor had been run dry of oil and I was expecting that to happen, so that could be why it was so clear to me then. Idk bros. Time will tell.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Noooooo nit what i wanted to read!!!bring it over this weekend and we can check it out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                            "It's a M sport, it has M logos on it."
                            -Miata Driving Douche-

Comment

If the blower is on it's own belt try taking it off and see if it goes away. without boost is should stop any pinging and you can tell if the coupler is going bad by if there is any play when you move the pulley back and forth
                              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

It only makes the noise when still in vacuum. But I'll try that tomorrow anyway if only to check the s/c coupler. Thanks bro.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X