where do you run your charge piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do you run your charge piping?

I currently have my M20 turbo build at a small standstill due to changing my mind about my intercooling setup. Instead of the water to air setup I originally planned, I have a spare intercooler laying around. Not only is it cheaper, but aside from buying piping, it's free (as opposed to shelling out the additional $500 for a decent WtA setup).

with that said, I want to figure out how I'm going to run my charge piping. I am getting 2.5" piping and what I am hoping to do is run it under the headlamps with some small modifications to the headlight brackets.

So...how do you have yours setup? If it's under the headlamps, post a picture!
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

i cut a little on passenger side.

massage valence

Comment

I have a similar setup, I had to trim the headlights as well.

Comment

I had to trim my passenger headlight some, not a big deal....but I run both my piping under the headlights...posted pics on my build in the projects sub forum
        1997 Artic Silver M3
        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I cut the headlight as well as cut the valence to fit with lots of trial and error.

Comment

Same as above.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I am running a fairly large intercooler (28x18x2.5 I believe...) and have the piping routed underneath the headlights.
              The passenger side elbow fit perfectly under the headlight without modification, and I had to trim out the bottom of the housing on the drivers side under the high beam to get that side to fit properly. The valance required a fair amount of cutting, and making new upper mounting tabs.
              I will see if I can dig up some pictures, or take some.

Comment

We did cut the valence a fair amount as well, but you can't see it once the bumper is mounted
                1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Same as posted above, under the headlights, I did have to cut the valance and trim a good portion of the lights, running 3"..
                    sigpic
                    HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                    " enjoy the show "

Comment

Bumping this thread for some insight:

As I am mounting up the intercooler, it seems the condenser hardlines are keeping the intercooler from sitting completely flush on one side. This is preventing me from attaching the front valance fully without serious modification. Anyone else run into this same issue?

Comment

einstein57 pretty much solved my issue with his link post. Looks like I will be getting a different intercooler.

Comment

Check out my build thread....we notched the support so that we could run the condensor lines.....worked like a charm!
                          1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                            Check out my build thread....we notched the support so that we could run the condensor lines.....worked like a charm!
                            Checked it out. Definitely gave me a good idea for the future should I need to modify it. I went after an intercooler that would allow more airflow to it behind the kidney grills, as well as the ability to retain the stock oil cooler location. Before I worked on my E30, I never got the freon vacuumed out so I'm working with a pressurized system until I can get the chance to drive it to my work and refill as necessary.

Comment

Working...
                            X