Turbo guys, oil cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo guys, oil cooler?

I am really curious to see who here runs or doesn't run an oil cooler with their forced induction setup. I have been fabricating stupid shit left and right just to keep my stock oil cooler up front (including SS braided lines and funky adapters to make the AN fittings work on it), but something leads me to believe it may or may not be necessary. Chime in on what you're running.
    Last edited by redsubdivisions; 02-05-2014, 06:27 PM.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

I've been wondering about this as well. I would rather not spend the time and money adapting the cooler in my swap if it's not necessary.

Comment

I dont run one simply because it was easier not too, but its never a bad idea to run an oil cooler

7speedshop.com

Comment

i ran one infront of my rad with no problems i didn't use braided lines as it was way to hard to bend them up there but i got the black coated lines like the braided lines but a different material but you will need to rap your headers so they don't melts
        Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
        1987 bmw e30 euro part out
        1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
        Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
        Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
        MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
        OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
        20psi

Comment

I cheated and left my stock cooler in there, but it required some bumper massaging with a sawsall to squeeze the intercooler in there.

#noregrets

Comment

Still have the stock oil cooler; had to convince some of the hard lines to move around a little though to get it to fit

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Pics?

Comment

All the cuts where behind the bumper so you couldnt see them, other than the intercooler was silver instead of black at the oil cooler slot.

Comment

I like that^

Comment

I took mine off. Never really noticed a big difference On the oil temp gauge. If I was doing track events I'm sure it would make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by me+speed= View Post
                      i took mine off. Never really noticed a big difference on the oil temp gauge. If i was doing track events i'm sure it would make a difference.
                      +1

Comment

i used the stock oil cooler thermostat with my own lines and summit racing cooler, wish i would have bought a smaller one, its obnoxious as hell

Comment

im going m52 turbo with a rally road oil cooler cap, so its on the other side, but i mounted it under the intercooler and lines will go under the rad support. -10 an stainless lines

www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                          2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Here's my NA setup ...... remote filter for some extra header clearance.

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                            X