what kind of cam do suggest for a 2.7l stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of cam do suggest for a 2.7l stroker

I wanted to ask what kind of cam specs is best for these cars ? im in the process of building a budget 2.7l stroker using the 135mm rods with the stock pistons ported head . i have a 304 cam ive been holding onto but i think as cool as it would sound in the car the over lap would kill it . any suggestions are appreciated or what you have used ? i see allot of people using the stock cam but whats to "big" ? thanks

272?
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

272 or 274

Comment

anybody ever ran the 304 ?

Comment

I am looking at cams for my supercharger setup as well, but it is the one part of engines I have never really messed with before.

This chart was neat, but not for e30s.
          http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...d_cams_137.gif

I did find this though:

Schrick's most aggressive cam for the M20 engine. The 304-degree will make big power at the top but there will be a loss of low-end torque so this cam is only recommended for cars that see most of their time above 4000 rpm. Schrick High Performance valve springs are strongly recommended. This cam has a 12.2mm lift and will not clear stock M20 pistons.
          If you are using shorter rods the pistons might clear.... but that is probably something you want to make sure of. Your car also might not idle without help. It also says you want new valve springs.

Apparently stock is a 264 duration, so the 274 is just a tad more than stock. Also they are apparently named in intake/exhaust.... so it is possible to have a 284/272 cam. With a turbo you might want less overlap but NA it might be fine. Is the 304 cam a 304/304?

Comment

I found some other folks quotes, so dont take these as mine or true.

I just put a real Schrick 288 in my track car, and can honestly say that I would not want it in a street car at all. Idle is very lumpy and power under 3,000 RPMs is anemic. But about 4,000 and it really starts pulling! Motronic seems to barely be able to handle it, but it is working well now.
            Regarding the 272 - since this thread was started it has been put in the car and it is up and running. For everyday normal driving, you can't even tell there's a difference. It pulls nicely when you punch it though. It hasn't seen a 1/4 mile yet, but with an intake, custom chip and FPR, it put out 155 whp.
            well i got a 2 part question.

a. what kind of cam would be good for a 2.7 stroker with super eta pistions.

b. what kind of cam would be good for a 2.8 low comp. stroker with a turbo.
            a. aggressive cam would be tits. all that power come midrange is awesome. I have an aggressive cam for my Euro 2.7 stroker and you can feel that bad boy start pulling from 2500 to 5000. Just an explosion of torque...for a 2.7.

b. Can't say on the turbo setup....
            Here are some dynos with cams... couldnt find a 304....

I was going to say a 2.7 would be around 190-200ft-lbs with stock or mild cam, and 200-220 with a 280+cam..... but that isnt true. There are too many variables. There are a few 285/285 guys in the 205tq spot.... but then it is all over the place. There is a guy making the same with a 273 but he has higher compression at 9.7:1, and a guy making just 175ft-lbs with a 285. Then that same guy did a maf conversion and it jumped up to 190.

For the sake of science toss the 304 in there and take it to a dyno plz, after making sure your pistons wont eat it.
            Last edited by Q5Quint; 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM. Reason: edit dyno

Comment

thanks for the input , i have a friend with the schrick 288 in his 325i its a little lopey but sounds nice . i think ill try the 304/304 cam i have its the diblas cam 12.2mm of lift should be interesting . lol but if anybody is interested i would trade it for a 288 .

Comment

is this for a FI engine?

i suspect Piston to valve clearance would be a problem with a large cam with lots of overlap
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yes , it is a fi build i was going to cut valve reliefs in the pistons or go with maybe something different . maybe do a 10:1 compression with boost see what that produces . if i do that i should be able to use the 304/304 cam using a ms setup it should be tuninable to get somewhat of a idle . lol

Comment

Wouldnt the 304/304 be blowing your intake charge into the exhaust with that overlap?

I am trying to figure out how to make this chart for your 304, but you may need to send the manufacturer a email.

I mean it would be cool- there might be fire shooting out of your turbo- but it may not give you the best performance. You might be able to use a 304 intake but a 288 exhaust might be better for FI.

I would really really like to see this chart with stock vs 2-3 cam profiles, but really really need to go back to work now lol.

Comment

I talked to one of the guys out a IE, he said their 304 was really meant for N/a race m20s, way to much valve overlap for a forced induction setup.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                        I talked to one of the guys out a IE, he said their 304 was really meant for N/a race m20s, way to much valve overlap for a sane forced induction setup.
                        fixed

Doesnt mean you couldnt use it, you would just be loosing air/fuel out your exhaust pipe meant to boost the engine. Just stick the exhaust pipe out the hood so you can watch the flames squirt. It will be neato and the ladies will love it.

Comment

I think your egt's would be really high.....like cook your turbo high especially with hard runs. There are some nice turbo cams out there with high lift but less overlap. Duration....or lope for the gearheads isn't always your best friend with FI. I'm still building my first m20 stroker boost motor, but I come from domestic muscle that utilizes the single cam setups, many of them using a stock or very mild cam and making insane numbers.
                          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Your stroker combo won't work, you need 130mm rods with stock pistons or custom pistons and 135mm rods. If you go with custom pistons you can go for higher compression, which will then give you more flexibility with the choice of cam.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                              I talked to one of the guys out a IE, he said their 304 was really meant for N/a race m20s, way to much valve overlap for a forced induction setup.
                              x2

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                              . Duration....or lope for the gearheads isn't always your best friend with FI.
                              x2.

OP you're current trajectory is aimed down a road full of headaches and heartbreaks.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                              X