Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric gear driven oil pump for turbo oiling post shut down instead of turbo timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric gear driven oil pump for turbo oiling post shut down instead of turbo timer

Has anyone setup an electric gear driven oil pump for supplying the oil to the turbo?

Basically, I'm lazy and have a journal bearing turbo. I don't want to have to worry about setting up a turbo timer for the engine and remember to leave my car out of gear with the eBrake on (isn't the best on hills) and making sure the turbine spins down fully before the engine is shut down. Normally I just toss it in reverse and put the eBrake on and shut off the car.

Ideally what I would like to do is either supply all of the oil for the turbo from an electric gear driven pump or have a method to switch over to the electric pump when the car is shut off. That way I can set the turbo timer to run the pump and supply the correct pressure and flow while the engine is shut off so that the turbine can spin down safely and not damage the journal bearing.

I've been watching a small company for years in California who has done extensive modifications to Kawasaki and BMW motorcycles and they appear to have a solution for their turbo bikes but I can't seem to find anyone who has done something like this for cars.

turbo, turbocharger, oil, oil scavenge, dry sump, feed, remote turbo, STS, Squires Turbo system, drain, Garrett, Rajay, IHI, turbo timer, bearings, compressor seals, exhaust seals

Why not just let the car idle for a minute or two before leaving the car and shitting it off? That's what I do

Comment

Lazy. Plus with my other turbo car (Mazdaspeed 3) I've got ball bearings, E30 335i, M-Tech II and E21 are all N/A and none of these need to spin down. So I'm worried I'm just going to space out and forget to let it run and spin down and one of these days it will go esplodey on me.

An electric pump seems like it would be cheap insurance to me.

Comment

I don't know how much pressure they generate, but people use electric oil pumps to scavenge oil on remote mount turbos (i.e. in the rear of the car) all the time.

-that, or-

Talk to some of the autocross guys or some racing shops. See how long one of the big 3qt accusumps will discharge oil after shutting the car off. Might go for long enough to work as a 'turbo timer' for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
          I don't know how much pressure they generate, but people use electric oil pumps to scavenge oil on remote mount turbos (i.e. in the rear of the car) all the time.

-that, or-

Talk to some of the autocross guys or some racing shops. See how long one of the big 3qt accusumps will discharge oil after shutting the car off. Might go for long enough to work as a 'turbo timer' for you.

Brilliant, thanks. It turns out accusump actually already makes a product specifically for what I want to do. The 24-150 and 24-154 Turbo After Oiler.

That seems like it would be a lot easier, less complicated and more reliable than trying to run a turbo timer hooked up to an electric oil pump.

Comment

Interesting... though they don't really explain what the difference is between that product and their regular accusump.

*** nevermind, read the instructions and it pretty much explains it. It looks like it's an accusump that comes with a check valve and tee, though they neglect to mention how many quarts the 'turbo' model holds.

I'd get a regular 3qt accusump, tee and check valve.

Free Shipping - Canton Racing Accusump Oil Accumulators with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Engine Oil Accumulators at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Canton Racing Accusump Check Valves with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Check Valves, Fluid at Summit Racing.

About $200 for the sump and check valve on summit; I'm sure you can get the tee and fittings from home depot or something on the cheap.

Comment

Boom! :ohsnap:

Our products solve your engines' oil and cooling problems. Improve your engines oil pressure, oil temperature, and coolant system with Canton Racing Products.

Comment

Lol... so how big is the canister? 2 quarts? 3?

Comment

The instructions say to add a quart of oil to the engine so I'm guessing it's only a 1qt dealy.

Comment

Hmmm.... well, it's your call, but I'd rather have three quarts flow through the turbo instead of one.

Comment

My only hesitation about that is basically I'd be overfilling the crankcase and I don't want anything slapping the oil while it first starts up and causing damage or frothing. I'm not sure if even at 1qt it would do that or not.

Comment

it has been my experience that if the turbo is watercooled you shouldn't really need to worry about this, even for journal bearing turbos.

Are you doing 1/4 mile runs and then shutting the car off? Unless you're boosting hard and then immediately parking it, I would save your money.
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

turbo timers are too easy. you wont forget to leave it out of gear. fix the ebrake if its poor. and i would still run a turbo timer on a ball bearing turbo as well. not only for the lubrication, but for cooling as well.
                          Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                            Lol... so how big is the canister? 2 quarts? 3?
                            It is just under 1qt. There is a flow reducing fitting that keeps the bearing oiled for close to 60 seconds. The pressure and the amount of oil is no the important part. Simply that there is enough oil to lubricate and to keep the cooling process.

Other concerns about over filling the pan are accurate as well. The guys that use our 3qt Accusumps to pre-oil their motor have a legitimate concern. We usually recommend only allowing the Accusump to discharge of 20 to 25 seconds before firing the motor to prevent this.

Comment

Hm. My thing is that I have doubts that an overfilled pan is such a big deal... as long as the engine is shut off. Sure, for the first 20 seconds or so the crank counterweights might dip in oil a bit but after that, the excess would be in the sump. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think that it'd hurt anything too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X