electric fan conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric fan conversion

so who has converted to an electric fan from the stock clutch type and what were the benefits if any? i have LOTS of electric fans from wrecked cars from work (good fans, broke shrouds = gimme new stuff) and was thinking of doing it to maybe free up some HP ( maybe?????) . i already have a z-4 condenser fan assembly i am going to put on and thought about mocking up the cooling fans at the same time.
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

ummm bump

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Think you might have one appropriate to cool my 305-powered Astro? I wanna do an electric fan conversion.

If so, would you PM me?

BTW, on my E30, just removed the fan and clutch. My foglight switch controls the fan now. Manual cooling FTW!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

just use the fan that is already there from your ac, and get the temp switch from a Z3 M42. all you have to do is swap out the switch and it should work fine. mine would be working now except I can't get the low speed to turn on, gotta figure out why power isn't getting to the fan. or maybe I'll just wire it up for high speed..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

there is a whole other thread about this, search for it

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            just use the fan that is already there from your ac, and get the temp switch from a Z3 M42. all you have to do is swap out the switch and it should work fine. mine would be working now except I can't get the low speed to turn on, gotta figure out why power isn't getting to the fan. or maybe I'll just wire it up for high speed..
            did you see any benifits from the conversion? if so what or why did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
              there is a whole other thread about this, search for it
              i looked first, didn't find anything so i posted, tell me what fourm it is in and i will read i. is that ok with you, or will that make baby jesus cry?

Comment

Originally posted by der affe
                did you see any benifits from the conversion? if so what or why did you do it?
                just to ditch the clutch fan.. less weight, and makes it a little easier to work on the front of the motor. I hate removing/installing the clutch fan!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the only thing i am concerned about is the water temps since i live in hell (aka arizona) where the devil comes to cool off when it is too hot in hell. the day time summer temps average around 108-112+. are you using an after market water temp gauge or still going by the stock cluster? do you still have your a/c? i suppose if it gets too bad i can add fans and a shroud to the inside as well. do you know what the amerage for a 90 325i alternator is?
                  thanks

Comment

I took the A/C Fan, and bolted it right through the radiator (in-front blowing towards the engine), and used the old window lock switch to turn on and off the fan. Also wired up a 40amp fuse. When its on, the coolant temp gets no hotter than 170.
                    '86 E30
                    '05 E53 X5
                    '72 Firebird
                    '10 Prius
                    '03 Tundra

Comment

There r a few guys here in SA, that have electric fans... I'm going to be doing the conversion soon 2.

The wires just wire up to a power source and into the Temp switch... they normally change the sender on the radiator, from one from a VW Golf, rather than on the fans itself... I'm gonna do the opposite.

Comment

I am 90% finished mine. I have been running around with it for a few days, stays just below half when driving, and either at or a hair above half in traffic.

But I just ordered 82 degree low speed and 91 degree high speed switches for my aux fan so it will never go into the red anymore.

Like nando I did it just to ditch that stupid clutch fan. I hated removing it and recently broke a bunch of blades.

I will take some pics, the wiring right now looks pretty factory up to a point, then I ran out of the connectors I need so its just butted until I get disconnects. I am using an aftermarket 12" hayden fan, mounted slightly off center. If I were to do it again I would get the 13.5"

Sold it.

Comment

Also a bonus of having the electric fan is maybe 1 or 2 kw, and better throttle response... which is always a bonus :)

Comment

thanks for the responces, good to know it works in SA. if it works there it should be no prob here (it was 108 here today btw). did everyone remove the shroud on the back of the rad too, or leave it there to funnel the air out?
                            thanks,
                            greg

Comment

Most of the guys here run 2 12" fans on the rad... but some of them run one 16" one... I've never seen them keep the shroud...

Comment

Working...
                              X