M20 2jz turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 2jz turbo

Hi everyone so I know there a lot of turbo thread already with many kind of turbo but my question is have anyone here even use the twins turbo of the 2jz gte?
    Do you guys think it'll have enough flow to keep the engine boosting?
    My plans is to boost it around 16ish psi on stock block with MLS head gasket and aftermarket head bolts.
    Every input will be appreciated

Thanks

just need some clarification; would you be trying to run a twin or single turbo setup? I'm sure you could utilize a single turbo from the 2j if you wanted but it'd spool really fast. you'd run into less issues running a single garret turbo, better airflow than the CT20's that were in most 2j's.
    Last edited by HooptE30; 09-04-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking of run them as twins either pararell or sequential.
      One of the reason is that the way of exhaust manifold looks 3 on 3 would be nice to like split the twins from 2jz gte and run them 1 on each manifold .
      But I'm not sure if they'll have enough flow to feed the m20 .
      If you think they'll work would be nice and quick spool?

Thanks

Comment

Reality is properly sized single modern ball bearing turbo should spool just as fast, if not faster than "older" technology twins with ALOT less complications.

Remember the 1j and 2j engines are like 20yrs old now, 20yr old tech, and the turbos are probably stuffed anyway.

Having said that i considered the same conundrum just recently as my mate took me for a spin in his 1jz twin turbo, and it was really nice.

The issue you are going to face is that of boost control I reckon. I dunno where to begin on retrofitting twin turbos onto another engine. but there was quite a mess of vac lines on the 1jz turbos and I'm pretty sure the ECU does some sort of controlling with actuators as well.

If you can figure all that out, and make 2 custom made manifolds, and a super custom dump pump, to allow you to physically fit in your engine bay, then I'm sure it would be awesome. But would the "fast spool" be that much better to justify the huge effort to make it all work? I'm not convinced.

For similar price and effort (pending gearbox choice) you can probably put an entire manual 1j or 2j engine into your e30!

Comment

Originally posted by CLASH View Post
          I'm thinking of run them as twins either pararell or sequential.
          One of the reason is that the way of exhaust manifold looks 3 on 3 would be nice to like split the twins from 2jz gte and run them 1 on each manifold .
          But I'm not sure if they'll have enough flow to feed the m20 .
          If you think they'll work would be nice and quick spool?

Thanks
          to clarify the "spool", i was suggesting they wouldn't be optimal if you were to use one because of older technology and size, as stated above. You would likely boost in low rpms and not get as much of a range over your middle and high end range if you were just using a single ct20.
          Last edited by HooptE30; 09-05-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Twin turbo is not my forte but I have no problems spooling a single GT3582r at 16 pound on my m20, not sure if that helps or not

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Originally posted by potatomash View Post
              Twin turbo is not my forte but I have no problems spooling a single GT3582r at 16 pound on my m20, not sure if that helps or not
              What power you put down ?
              And what ecu you tuning with?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CLASH View Post
                What power you put down ?
                And what ecu you tuning with?

Thanks
                378hp on megasquirt 2

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment