How to turbo a daily driven iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eskie View Post

Hey, sorry..just got the notification for this. I can send you the tune in the next couple of days, PM me your email address please!

I've actually just moved my entire setup to my other iX and have retained the AC....it's definitely possible. However the line that runs down the passenger side strut tower just burst because of the heat from the hot side of the turbo. I'm working on making a custom line at the moment.
    Any details on how you retained A/C? I definitely can't get rid of mine with GA weather

Comment

The only real issue was the lines under the passenger side headlight because that’s where my intercooler pipes run. I thought about making custom AC lines to go under and up by the receiver drier but in the end I just cut a small amount of material out of the bottom of the plastic headlight brackets (I have DEPO headlights). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk EDIT: I also welded an elbow to the passenger side of the intercooler as I wouldn’t have room for a couple and T-bolts in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Eskie View Post

Hey, sorry..just got the notification for this. I can send you the tune in the next couple of days, PM me your email address please!

I've actually just moved my entire setup to my other iX and have retained the AC....it's definitely possible. However the line that runs down the passenger side strut tower just burst because of the heat from the hot side of the turbo. I'm working on making a custom line at the moment.
        Sweet! PM incoming. Good to know about the passenger side AC line, I’ll probably start by just wrapping the hell out of it with heat shield and see if that holds.

Cool that you could route intercooler pipes where you did, I wouldn't have thought they would fit with the AC hoses still intact. What diameter pipe did you end up using? I’ve been thinking about bringing the piping up and under the drier but this seems way cleaner and a shorter run. Any more detailed pics on how you cut the headlight assy to make it all fit?

Comment

It’s 2.5” inch piping. I’ll take a pic of part I cut out of the high beam headlight bracket. It wasn’t a whole lot, basically just flattened the bottom of it. It didn’t take any structural integrity out of it. I brought the ruptured AC line to work today to measure and order parts to make a custom one. More updates soon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread has been a tremendous help to me. Thank you!

I do have a question on the location of the oil drain. Do you think it would be possible to drill above the location you drilled? It seems like I could do it without lowering the entire motor while also allowing the ac bracket to still be used.

I'm currently at this step and idk if you still use this platform but wanted to ask. Below is the location I'm thinking of drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been ready to pull the trigger on an iX oil pan and M50 oil pan to send off to Jake at Classic Daily to have them mated for an S52 swap. After talking to him he was pushing me towards a turbo build instead. I was always wary of turbo as it seemed they were wrought with problems and not great for a daily driver. He said that was the case maybe 10 years ago but not so much anymore.

I had not been on R3V in quite a while but I get on and this is the first thread I see. Exactly what I'm looking for. I thought it wouldn't be possible with my stroker motor I built up 10 years ago to a 2.8L with 10:1 pistons but I've been told with mild boost like you are doing its no problem. If I can get between 250-300 hp and not have to mess with full pump, HG, or any kind of meth injection I would be beyond happy with that. Also, living in Leadville, Colorado at 10,200 feet is what pushed me over the edge from a motor swap to turbo. I'm going to keep following this thread and I'd like to get some feedback on how reliable this set up has been for you as I will be using this as a daily driver as well and reliability is key for me. Thanks for posting this and I hope to see more updates soon.
              Last edited by aaron325ix; 11-22-2022, 04:21 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                I have been ready to pull the trigger on an iX oil pan and M50 oil pan to send off to Jake at Classic Daily to have them mated for an S52 swap. After talking to him he was pushing me towards a turbo build instead. I was always wary of turbo as it seemed they were wrought with problems and not great for a daily driver. He said that was the case maybe 10 years ago but not so much anymore.

I had not been on R3V in quite a while but I get on and this is the first thread I see. Exactly what I'm looking for. I thought it wouldn't be possible with my stroker motor I built up 10 years ago to a 2.8L with 10:1 pistons but I've been told with mild boost like you are doing its no problem. If I can get between 250-300 hp and not have to mess with full pump, HG, or any kind of meth injection I would be beyond happy with that. Also, living in Leadville, Colorado at 10,200 feet is what pushed me over the edge from a motor swap to turbo. I'm going to keep following this thread and I'd like to get some feedback on how reliable this set up has been for you as I will be using this as a daily driver as well and reliability is key for me. Thanks for posting this and I hope to see more updates soon.
                cool, i drove my turbo 325ix out to twin lakes and to leadville this summer for the leadville 100 in august. Its the way to go. me and another guy in salida have turbo 325ix cars running around right here in colorado
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                X