Help me make heads and tails of turbo selection/compressor maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
    Exhaust manifold I meant. But yeah the m50 is good till around 15-20 I think. I remember matt saying somthing that they flex around 25psi I think.
    Oh exhaust, d'oh. Um, I was thinking about a top mount, because I have no AC and there's a huge lonely void there, just begging to be stuffed. But I didn't know that you need the maf to be upstream of the turbo, Matt just told me today. So it looks like I'll get his or FAB666's bottom mount, with Matt's motor mount to have clearance. Or maybe I'll hack out a high beam to make room for the filter + maf and go top mount.

Comment

You gotta go top mount. The s5x engine bay with a bad ass turbo and headers is the sweetest looking setup possible. I am currently In the middle of sn s52 OBD2 turbo build myself. Look at Good & Tight top mount manifolds on here. They look awesome, and way cheaper than FAB 666's.
      1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

Wow really?

Comment

Im going to chime in here. Although im not doing a s5x turbo setup I know alot of ppl that have.

the best advice I can give you if you want to reach 400 some hp is to build the motor. While replacing the head gasket with a cometic oversized will work to lower the compression its not going to last very long at all. the best way to do this is to sack up, spend the money and get lower compression forged pistons then run a stock head gasket.

As far as a turbo goes. I would consider running a gt35r or something close to that. With this compressor your going to have reasonable (but manageable lag) while being more than capable of a bar of boost.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

no gt2876 (t25 flange is a nono for flow)

we used a gt3076 for 6-7 years on a stock s50b30 with arp studs and stacked headgaskets (stock+copper), and it took 50,000 race miles to blow a headgasket (bridge 3 and 4), ran around 12 psi.

We are now using a gt3582 (gt35r) on a t4 housing and built motor, and its a bit big but fuck does it make punch. serious oomph. 16psi aswell.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
            X