Best spark plugs for turbo m52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best spark plugs for turbo m52?

Hey everyone. I am looking at replacing my fairly new set of NGK bkr7e 4644 plugs and wanted to see if this was still a good option or if there was a better plug I should try. I am still going through the tuning process and have fouled the plugs so many times that I just want to put a new set in. I know i bought the ones i have for a reason, but wanted to just verify if there is something better I should replace these with.

Thanks'

Gasoline? How much boost?
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Gasoline? How much boost?
      No ethanol. I don't find it widely available enough to run. My car is primarily a track car, but at the same time i still want to drive it on the street on weekends. I haven't seen e85 anywhere near me...Right now im running 8psi, but am dialing in the tune for around 15 psi.

Comment

I am running about 65% ethanol with 15-19psi of boost (depending on boost targets) with the BPR7ES and have some fouling after long idles. I am also very very safe in terms of AFR because of factory ring gap and limited tuning time (no dyno yet). WOT values are about .74-.75 lambda at full spool, and even .83-.85 lambda at the transition.

Personally, I think if you plan on running 15psi you will probably end up at an NGK 7, but perhaps the 6 heat range would be better suited for addressing your fouling. This is also even more true if you are mostly just cruising and don't plan on doing long, high-speed autobahn runs. It's cheaper to replace plugs than other engine components... but I'm probably overly safe.

How far off is your tune? If it is close to where you want (both timing and fuel) you can begin to replace plugs and read them for heat range. I'll gather some resources and post them in a few minutes

Comment

Whether new information for you or not, I figured I would link a youtube playlist I put together that has some good information in it (to varying degrees from each video): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CcQjSjsMWB-VnE

Here's also an image I found on the internet that also was helpful for me to learn how to read plugs. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Gas Plug Reading.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	9974107

The information may already be known to you, but perhaps not others, so I'll leave it here for reference.

Comment

I ran BKR6E up to ~10.5psi on stock gaps and not had an issue, swapped to BKR7E with somewhere .021~.024 gap and I haven't noticed a difference at the same boost.
            I only switched because it had been ~6 years on the 6E plugs, not because I had any issues.

I'd probably run the 7E up to 500-600 and switch to a 4554 (R5671A-8) somewhere north of that, whenever you have issues with the 7E.
            Downside is that they're pricier and 1 Ohm resistance/non-projected center electrode.
            I think stock ignition system handles these just from how many people run them without comment, but I'm not 100% sure.
            Last edited by Northern; 02-15-2021, 05:00 PM.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Hanks for the feedback guys. I am using a heat range 7 plug now, so ill sick with it. That being said, does anyone know the difference between the bkr7e and the bpr7es jaxx_ is using? I couldn't figure that one out.

Comment

B vs BK: 20.8mm hex or 16mm hex
                S: Standard Copper Core electrode

Click image for larger version

Name:	3384e3a64c0e282ee7956de9a4670952197cb2b7.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	9974298

Comment