How to verify timing on M10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to verify timing on M10

Hey guys I’m new to the m10 engine and I recently picked up a 84 318i I have fuel I have spark but when I go to crank the car it sounds like it’s out of time I can hear what I’m assuming is the combustion happening while the valves are open (lots of bangs and pops when turning car over but no start) I’ve fixed multiple vacuum leaks along with bad injectors but the car is still doing the same thing. I would like to verify timing but I’m not sure how it’s done on this engine. I can feel a timing mark on the crank pulley and on the camshaft I see a hole which I think is for the timing but not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Make sure that the rotor button is not damaged, I managed to have the dizzy hit the battery on hard launches and damage the plastic index which keeps ignition time.

The timing mark is on the crank pulley and there is a TDC "pin" on the front timing cover under the water pump which points to the crank pulley's mark.

...and as always, verify plug wires, but I'm sure you've done that
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Make sure that the rotor button is not damaged, I managed to have the dizzy hit the battery on hard launches and damage the plastic index which keeps ignition time.

The timing mark is on the crank pulley and there is a TDC "pin" on the front timing cover under the water pump which points to the crank pulley's mark.

...and as always, verify plug wires, but I'm sure you've done that
      Thanks for the info I will check that next time im with the car, Also the plug wires go on the distributor in 1,3,4,2 order but in which direction Clock wise or counter clock wise after a quick search I see people saying clockwise and others say counter.

Comment

Ah. Yes.

The answer is, for the E30, counter. But there is an arrow on the dizzy to help with that.

It changed in 1981, for no good reason known to humanity. For some reason, moving
        the mirrors off the doorskins and into the front edges of the doors of the E21 required that
        the distributor direction also change.

IF there is a hole in your transmission bell housing, close to the distributor, then you attach a timing
        light to #1 plug lead, point it down the hole, rev the engine to anywhere between 1400 and 2100
        (read the sticker on the underside of the hood) and see if you can see the bb embedded in the edge of
        the flywheel. That's the timing indicator.
        When you can't, stick a pencil, eraser first, down the hole (carefully) until it polishes the bb.
        Try again.
        It won't work.

You can move the distributor around to see if you might get a glimpse of it. Sometimes you can.

The front mark is there.
        It's equally hard to see, but at least you get a flash on the whole thing, so maybe you can figure out where it is.

You can statically time it by setting it to TDC #1, rolling it back 15 or so degrees, and setting the distributor
        to 'fire' #1. Usually that's when the reluctor fingers are a tiny bit past aligned.

t
        nothing's simple
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          Ah. Yes.

The answer is, for the E30, counter. But there is an arrow on the dizzy to help with that.

It changed in 1981, for no good reason known to humanity. For some reason, moving
          the mirrors off the doorskins and into the front edges of the doors of the E21 required that
          the distributor direction also change.

IF there is a hole in your transmission bell housing, close to the distributor, then you attach a timing
          light to #1 plug lead, point it down the hole, rev the engine to anywhere between 1400 and 2100
          (read the sticker on the underside of the hood) and see if you can see the bb embedded in the edge of
          the flywheel. That's the timing indicator.
          When you can't, stick a pencil, eraser first, down the hole (carefully) until it polishes the bb.
          Try again.
          It won't work.

You can move the distributor around to see if you might get a glimpse of it. Sometimes you can.

The front mark is there.
          It's equally hard to see, but at least you get a flash on the whole thing, so maybe you can figure out where it is.

You can statically time it by setting it to TDC #1, rolling it back 15 or so degrees, and setting the distributor
          to 'fire' #1. Usually that's when the reluctor fingers are a tiny bit past aligned.

t
          nothing's simple
          Thank you for the info gotta love BMW for changing things randomly for no good reason LOL

Comment

Working...
          X