84 318i won't stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 318i won't stay running

Hey everyone, So I have an 84 318i that has not been running well. I took it to a shop to have the steering column replaced and the ignition switch replaced. After the shop had replaced it the car started running worse than it had been. and before that the car was not starting everytime like it would take a few tries before it would finally catch on and start up, and when it was running it would get warm and idle down to far and would shut off. Which is was it is currently doing now. And the mechanic who was looking at it said that the cold start valve was missing he thought, and he tried some different injectors because the ones it had were not right or the numbers weren't.

I am not sure I was looking at other M10 motors for the 84 318i and I some had the idle control valve and some didn't and I don't have one of those on my car. although I haven't seen the car in a while so I forget what it looks like.
    If anyone has any idea's let me know.

I have this same car, with an ICV, and I know that when I mess with it, it does the same thing you describe above before the engine warms up. (it doesn't have trouble starting though) When it does this I'll sit in it and keep the RPM's above 1k until it warms a little and it's ok after that. I didn't know what I was doing when I was adjusting the ICV, so I think I may have rendered it useless. IDK. Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Take a pic of your motor so we can see if you have the ICV installed. First things first, replace all vacuum hoses and intake elbow to eliminate vacuum leaks.

Comment

replace the fuel relay with a known good one.
        84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

Can you test the fuel relay or the terminal or something to see if it's working or not. Or should I just find one off another car and try it? I thought also about trying to find another thermo sensor or valve not sure on the exact name but it tells the cold start valve when to send fuel in. And if it gets to warm it turns off. Idk tho I am talking out my ass this one. Still learning about jet tronic systems.
          I still have yet to see my car.

Comment

ok So an Update on my car I got it from the shop today I tried to drive it home but the car was running to rich and getting way to much fuel that I had to call AAA to get the car towed to my house. I got the car back to my house and tired it and it ran for a bit but still ran rich. I don't think its anything serious but something simple.
            also I do have an ICV on it. I am going to put pictures i took up in a little bit.

Comment

i know my m10 was running like shit and it was the main relay....which is like 200$ new at the dealer..
              e30s r kool

Comment

pics update

ok so here a some photos I hope they go up. This is my 1st time uploading photos. But I thought everyone should see the madness that is my M10 motor. in a couple of the photos especially the one with the green wire and green and brown wire. Does anyone know what that is or what it might go too.(actually I put up the wrong pic I am gonna post the right one) oh the one of the single injector, the mechanic who worked on my car thought this one was putting out to much fuel and was causing the problems.

Oh vivalegreg what does that relay look like. Cause I tried looking for one but all the big relays where kind of confusing and i wasn't sure which one it was.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bavdrifter; 10-31-2009, 04:31 PM. Reason: just needed to update.

Comment

i have an 84 318i and one thing i noticed is your cvacuum bell thing on your distriibutor is about 90 degrees off. I had to have the shop fix my car recently and they said that causes poor timing in the distributor. just an idea cause i'm not sure if thats true

Comment

the green wire near battery should be o2 sensor wire...mine was there, and they use single wire o2 sensors.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Hey jean that green wire was actually near another set of wires on was Black and one was Green. they had some corroded terminals on them and one side was very badly frayed. Idk what they go to, Just wondering if you knew and if that goes to the O2 sensor.

I read a few sections in the Bentley manual and the o2 sensor was one of the things that I am going to check, As well as the cat.(pretty sure I have one)

Comment

unplug the o2 sensor, my car had all the symptoms of a bad iacv and it wasnt, so just unplug that and see if it changes anything
                        -His-
                        87 e30 325i
                        87 e24 m6
                        05 e83 x3
                        94 e32 740i 5spd
                        -Hers-
                        89 e30 325i
                        18 f48 x1

Comment

Yea thats my plan is to uplug the o2 sensor and give it try to see what happens.

Comment

Ok so update on an old thread, i got my car running again finally. I cleaned out the ICV a little bit and disconnected the cold start valve and the car started running. It idles pretty rough though and is still running kind of rich. I think one of my injectors is stuck on because I had a loud hissing noise coming from around my injectors. But I am very happy that is running.

Comment

did you try and get a new AFM those things go bad all the time thats what happened to mine and i replaced that and the fuel injectors, and now mine runs fine. try unplugging the afm and checking to see if the car runs, if it does then your afm may be done

Comment

Working...
                              X