No announcement yet.

84 318i won't stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k, ive posted this 100x but i try to got to any post that deals with my car and similar problems.
    ...Car Starts but immediately stops..i own the Haynes and Chilton Manual.

1984 318i---> New: Distributor Cap, Rotor, Spark Plugs (gauged wrong though i think), Fuel Pump (internal/external), Starter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Air Intake Boot.

Tests Performed: Ignition Coil, Fuel Pumps and Fuel Pump Relay, TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor), Signal from Distributor, Ignition Control Module, ECU, Injectors (Resistance & Voltage), Injection Control Module, Continuity check of the wires for the Fuel Delivery System)...All Tests Passed with flying colors...

i am left to believe that its the timing/positioning of the Distributor...
    i had to remove it in the past and now im no longer 100% sure i inserted it properly.
    After doing much research i found the point at the front of the engine where the notch on the drive shaft is supposed to line up (manual crank with socket), and i also see the steel ball in the bell housing window of the transmission.
    like i said before the car starts initially and then immediately dies.

currently i have been setting the distributor as such...
    After i find the steel ball in the bell housing i insert the distributor, making sure that the Rotor is pointing at the notch in the Distributor Housing. next i place the distributor/rotor assembly into the engine compartment. this is where things get tricky because after inserting it, it rotates to the left. im not sure if its supposed to be pointing at the notch after its put in the engine, or line it up with the notch and then put it in the engine slot...

ive seen 15 different diagrams for the positioning of the spark plug wires on the distributor cap..
    some state that the No.1 spark plug should be the port closest to the firewall, ive seen others that have it as the one closest to the battery. The Haynes book mentions something about the distributor needing to be set to 15° before Top Dead Center!?....does anyone have a picture of their spark plug wiring and position of the distributor at TDC

Comment

IT LIVES!
      Got it to start, run, and idle over the weekend...i had previously tested the resistance and voltage going to the injectors and they were good, but it was due to the injectors being old and prob gummed up with the old fuel; not allowing the fuel into the engine, THANKS EVERYONE.

Stage 2: Brakes, possibly rotors, control arms, bushings, tie rods, Ball Joints, brake lines, Clutch

Comment

Working...
      X