distributor question........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distributor question........

vehicle: 1985 318i with the m10 (of course)...

been through everything else so far but it wont start. i think its ignition timing. at TDC, the rotor should be pointing at plug wire #1 correct? i've got my plugs in the right order on the cap, but the rotor is pointing 180* the wrong way.... dizzy is lined up to the motor in a generally correct location (ovbiously not correctly timed but i tried shifting it back and forth with no luck of starting). my guess is a genuinely fucked dizzy or i need to rotate all my plug wires halfway around on the cap.

its too dark outside to work so i figured come inside and ask someone whos got more experience with the motor

nvm, went back out with a flash light and the wires were in the wrong order. runs like piss but it runs. now on to other issues

Comment

I'd double check your ignition. Go back to TDC and make sure #1 is on the compression stroke not exhaust, THEN confirm that the rotor is pointing to plug wire #1 and that all the other plug wires are in the correct order going in the right rotation.
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        I'd double check your ignition. Go back to TDC and make sure #1 is on the compression stroke not exhaust, THEN confirm that the rotor is pointing to plug wire #1 and that all the other plug wires are in the correct order going in the right rotation.
        This! After I got my engine installed in my car, I had a few hours of trouble shooting why it wouldn't start. This turned out to be the problem, dizzy was 180 out. Once you get this sorted, since you effed with your distributor so much, check your timing to make sure you aren't too far advanced/retarded as that can cause a crappy running condition.
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

ya i got it all working. piss poor running is NOT do to ignition. advancing/retarding the dizzy has no effect what so ever. thats how bad its running. pretty sure i dont have full compression in all cylinders. very suspect of the rings.

Comment

had the same problem after changing the head gasket on mine. The distributor had rotated an was about 180 degrees out. Just remove the retainer nut and pull it out of the housing. (you will need to pull hard:giggle:)

set the rotor pointing back to plug #1 at TDC and carefully re-insert (check the o-ring while you are there) It will rotate as it goes in but get close and final adjustment is done when you set the timing.

Now mine runs sweet up to 3000rpm then the revs cut out till it drops to 1000 rpm then it goes again....?

Comment

Working...
            X