Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'02 dizzy in a 318 HELLLP! (yes ive searched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'02 dizzy in a 318 HELLLP! (yes ive searched)

I have a fresh built 2002 motor in my '84 318i. I have the stock '02 dizzy installed for correct cam compatibility (i have the 2002 cam, mine is no good). I need to know how to hook up the factory 318i distributor wires to the '02's single male spade connector on the distributor. The wires are one black and one yellow. Obviously its not plug 'n' play. I dont know what color the factory 2002 wire is, so i have no place to even begin. Any help is greatly appreciated as i need to get my car back on the road and this is the final thing holding it up from doing so. I wasnt able to find what i was looking for by searching. Thanks!

Originally posted by skunkworx View Post
    I have a fresh built 2002 motor in my '84 318i. I have the stock '02 dizzy installed for correct cam compatibility (i have the 2002 cam, mine is no good). I need to know how to hook up the factory 318i distributor wires to the '02's single male spade connector on the distributor. The wires are one black and one yellow. Obviously its not plug 'n' play. I dont know what color the factory 2002 wire is, so i have no place to even begin. Any help is greatly appreciated as i need to get my car back on the road and this is the final thing holding it up from doing so. I wasnt able to find what i was looking for by searching. Thanks!
    I believe if you are using an 318i electronics with 02 cam/dizzy, the ignition will not work. you will have to get the dizzy from an e21 318i. check out bmw2002faq.com you will probably get more hits there...
    ?

Comment

Originally posted by SoopaGhetto View Post
      I believe if you are using an 318i electronics with 02 cam/dizzy, the ignition will not work. you will have to get the dizzy from an e21 318i. check out bmw2002faq.com you will probably get more hits there...
      I've got one on there too, trying to get as many irons in the fire as i can thx...

Comment

I have to try and remember, I just had this conversation with the IE guys. I think he said that you bypass the ign module and hook the 02 dizzy directly to the coil.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

If you're gonna do that, use a 2002 or other points- style coil.

I wonder if you could put the 320 reluctor into the 2002 dizzy. You'd have
          to use the 2002 mechanical advance, so it'd advance rather than retard, but
          all the electronics need are the pulses generated by the reluctor.

Might be worth looking at...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
            I have to try and remember, I just had this conversation with the IE guys. I think he said that you bypass the ign module and hook the 02 dizzy directly to the coil.

I think thats where im headed... im gonna talk to IE again today. Might get the distributor they have thats mechanical advance sent up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              If you're gonna do that, use a 2002 or other points- style coil.

I wonder if you could put the 320 reluctor into the 2002 dizzy. You'd have
              to use the 2002 mechanical advance, so it'd advance rather than retard, but
              all the electronics need are the pulses generated by the reluctor.

Might be worth looking at...

t
              Ive found a thread or two where you can combine the upper shaft and housing of the 318 coil and combine them with the lower shaft and gear of the 02 dizzy, but i dont really want to do that. Because if i ever have to get another one beacause of failure, i have to get two distributors and put them together again, instead of just ordering one dizz.

Comment

Would a 77-79 320i distributor work? anyone have a pic of one?

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworx View Post

Don't think that would work with the 318 ignitor. Pertronix and similar are hall effect triggers where the 318 dist uses a magnetic pickup.

Wire it like a 2002 with the correct coil. You could also use an MSD cdi box.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Ive got it all sorted. I'm not going to have to fuss with jumping the fuel relay or worrying about the tach receiving signal. Ireland lined me all out. So for anyone who is looking for this same problem to be solved:

I will be using the TII mechanical advance distributor for that Ireland Engineering sells. I will be bypassing the pulse lead from the factory 1984 318i ignition module. There will be no issues with fuel pump relay or tach. On my car that all happens after the ign module. I also will be using an "blue" ignition coil from a 1971 2002. The only reason is because it doesnt require a resistor to be installed, as it has an internal one to keep the resistance ~2ohms.

Comment

Working...
                    X