M10 doesn't want to rev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 doesn't want to rev

My 84 318i doesn't like to rev out. 4/4500 is all she'll do. Also just doesn't seem to run 100%.

New parts are...
    Fuel pumps
    Fuel filter
    Cap and rotor button
    Plugs
    Coolant temp sensor
    Head gasket and all gaskets relating to that job are new
    New vacuum lines

Cold start injector is fine. I swapped it with another and capped it off completely and no change.
    ICV has been removed since it wouldn't idle with it. Port have been plugged.

My suspicions are with the Maf but I don't know.

Also, the little tang on the body of the distributor for a wire (ground?) to hookup. What goes there. And would that have anything to do with this?

Car starts right up every time. When its warm and has been running awhile it will stall while driving sometimes but start right back up.

Ideas? Wanting to get my little fuel sipper reliable.

Are you sure the timing is correct? Both ignition and mechanical. Mine doesn't have anything hooked up to what looks like a grounding point.

Comment

My 85 has a ground strap from the distributor to the battery tray.

Also I'm thinking check your AFM. It may very well be the culprit.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I'm not sure on the timing but I know it hasn't been moved since I had it and I ensured the chain stayed put when I did the head gasket.

And the afm is definitely potential but how do I check it?

Also, the car has 25xxxx miles on it, but I found a note in the glove box saying the engine was replaced at 230k with a 75k mile replacement. So who knows. I bought it with this issue, as did the guy I bought it from. He's the one who replaced the entire fuel system (minus injectors and fuel lines) and I can verify this as they're all shiny new.

Everything I have done has made it better but it's still not perfect.

I've even considered throwing a carb setup on it. Lol.
        Last edited by strang3majik; 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

does it hit the limit under-load, neutral, both?

i would definitely check the timing at the distributor. might need to advance it more...
          ?

Comment

It won't rev that high at all. It's like it's being held back. But it is worse under load.

Comment

Try disconnecting the harness to the AFM and starting the car. It will cause the DME to run a default map. The car won't idle for shit and will run very rich but it's worth a shot.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I've owned my M10 for 14 years and it never revved until I adjusted the valves to .008
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I thought about the valve adjustment to. Like I said this thing taps like crazy so my though was a valve adjustment.

But sorry I haven't been able to mess with it to check with this stuff. It's been raining all day everyday down here for the past few. -____-

Florida problems.

Comment

Well, the oil pressure sender was leaking like crazy, put a new one in it and started it up (it's been sitting about a month). Fired right up and seemed to be running perfect.

Idk. Kinda weird. Lol.

Probably going to be putting tags back on it soon so in guess we'll see.

I'm just afraid to make a long distance journey in it since that one time it stalled out and didn't start for a few hours. Only ever did that once but no clue why it did.

Comment

my 84 318 did the same thing!!!!!

it was a bad cat and all the pieces clogged my exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cut it off and started it and it red lined! :)

Comment

Working...
                      X