Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 318i, I will drive her for life. What should I replace for reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 318i, I will drive her for life. What should I replace for reliability?

What parts should I change right away to guarantee a daily driver for life? I recently aquired this beautiful e30 and some folks were kind enough to give me advice , the car runs and no check engine she barely passed smog. She seems solid I just want to know what to replace like alternator, radiator ,hose, and such, she has maybe a new radiator from previous owners but she seems like she can use a tune up badly! Thank you , I will never sell this car. God bless you all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sonny; 02-03-2019, 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
    .....the car runs nice and great and passed smog.....
    Originally posted by Sonny View Post
    ..... but she seems like she can use a tune up badly! .....
    You are giving off mixed signals.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      You are giving off mixed signals.
      To happy sorry. She actually has original parts. All of it it's insane. She sounds like a sewing machine but I understand it's normal. ? So please my friend what are things I should get cranking on and replace?

Comment

Sounds like you're looking for preventative maintenance. Luckily M10's are easy to work on.
        Replace all the fuel and ignition components to start as well as the 02 sensor; plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, injectors, fuel lines, vac lines, etc..
        Find out what the numbers were when it 'barley passed smog' to give you an idea of what's going on. If the cat is just as old as the car, that would be the first obvious guess.

Another piece of advice is the old saying of if it's not broke don't fix :p

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

does the M10 have a cat? In Aus we didn't have cats until 1987 i think.

I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, don't just throw money and effort at it for no reason. As specified if its not broken don't fix it.

- engine oil and filter - then you know its been done.
          - Adjust the tappets on the engine.
          - Check ignition timing
          - remove the plugs, inspect and see if they need replacing.
          - measure the resistance of the spark plug leads, if they are ok dont replace them.
          - inspect the rotor and cap. Once again if they look alright dont replace. Any sign of corrosion give them a hit with the sand paper and see how they go.
          - gearbox and diff oil worthwhile - but not urgent.
          - coolant and radiator flush not a bad idea. remove radiator, go nuts with the hose in the back yard - fill it up and then let it all gush out. gives you a good chance to inspect a fair bit of the cooling system at the same time.
          - have a look at all the hoses in engine bay, specifically vacuum ones. replace any that are a not nice and soft.
          - flush and bleed the brake and clutch hydraulic system. '
          - pump up the tires.
          - give it a good wash and detail. Especially in the engine bay. Then you know when you have a leak.

Start driving:)

Comment

Dont forgot to throw in some fuel injector cleaner in the gas.

Be super careful when loosing the alternator tensioner. That's an $$$ part

Comment

First off! Start with replacing the fact that you don't have a Bentley repair manual...

Then don't listen to people with less than 100 posts.

I would then replace the timing belt and ALL fluids.

Then do a compression test and a leak down test to see how "well" your engine is.

Then take if from there... When things go wrong - fix them. Then keep up with general maintenance.

good luck!
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

There's no timing belt on an M10 last time I checked, so take suggestions from under 1000 post users with healthy skepticism.

I say you need twin 40 DCOEs and 336 cam on stock valvetrain. But you might want to be careful of suggestions from members with more than 4000 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  There's no timing belt on an M10 last time I checked, so take suggestions from under 1000 post users with healthy skepticism.

I say you need twin 40 DCOEs and 336 cam on stock valvetrain. But you might want to be careful of suggestions from members with more than 4000 posts.
                  Aha your awesome. I wish I can but my car sounds like a sewing machine driving

Comment

Timing chain guide and tensioner. M10s don't have timing belts. Do the water pump and thermostat while you have the covers off along with the gaskets. Fan clutch. I think I answered a bunch of your posts on Reddit...
                    M10s in their best shape in stock form do sound like sewing machines, a valve adjustment will help a bit with that.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

lol!! Touche! :)

I always think M20...
                      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Working...
                      X