Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pumps Not Kicking On

Hi,
    So I have been searching on this site trying to find some ideas on where to start searching for my issue and I haven't come up with much as everything that pops up in my searches are intermittent running or poorly running pertaining to fuel pumps.
    I have a 1985 318i that was a shell when i got it. The body was nice so i found a motor did a complete rebuild and pieced the car back to life over the past year. The issue I am having is that the fuel pumps will not kick on at all. I have tested for power at relay everything checked out, and put a new relay in just for the hell of it. If I Jumper at the relay I can get the fuel pumps to run and the car runs great. So the computer sends signal to that relay according to my Bentley, but is there a signal for the pumps to that relay from something else or am I focusing on the wrong area? I can jumper the pumps at the ignition but want to fix it right. Any ideas or leads on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am not finding a specific relay for the fuel pumps as they just run off the main relay that sends signal to the AFM, TPS, and Fuel Pumps. I don't have an O2 sensor in yet but i don't think that would cause this issue. I am not that great with wiring; therefore, before I start getting into that being an issue I thought I would come here first and see if i could get some ideas before searching myself.
    What BMW means to me: Breaks My Wallet

On another website, Richardodn posted a google doc ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing) that he compiled for diagnosing many E30 issues, including the fuel pump. Excellent.

Comment

Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS, is the sensor that sends signal to the DME, which in turn will trigger on the fuel pump. Replace your CPS and I bet your fuel pump will work again.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyledge View Post
        On another website, Richardodn posted a google doc ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing) that he compiled for diagnosing many E30 issues, including the fuel pump. Excellent.
        Thank you as that's exactly what i was looking for. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
          Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS, is the sensor that sends signal to the DME, which in turn will trigger on the fuel pump. Replace your CPS and I bet your fuel pump will work again.
          There is no CPS on these older M10s that i know of unless in the distributor, but even then unlikely. Maybe a signal from the speed sensor. I would think there has to be a crank or cam signal from somewhere, but then again i am not too familiar with these M10s.

Comment

Working...
          X