Timing belt & TDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt & TDC

With the belt still off the cam sprocket I turned the crank 2-3 inches clockwise until I felt a hard resistance. I did all this very slowly and immediately stopped. Now all is aligned but could I have bent a valve or does it take a running engine to bend a valve?

Originally posted by Thunderzol View Post
    With the belt still off the cam sprocket I turned the crank 2-3 inches clockwise until I felt a hard resistance. I did all this very slowly and immediately stopped. Now all is aligned but could I have bent a valve or does it take a running engine to bend a valve?
    You can absolutely bend a valve by hand, depending on how forcefully you rotated the crank, but you are generally not likely to do so. Don't worry about it right now unless you see/feel/hear some issue when the engine is running, and if you do find a problem you can do a compression test.

Comment

Ok I’ll stop being paranoid for now. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderzol View Post
        With the belt still off the cam sprocket I turned the crank 2-3 inches clockwise until I felt a hard resistance.
        Why did you do that?

You're probably fine. The best thing to do would be get the new belt on and then do a leak down test for each cylinder. You'll be able to hear it in the intake/exhaust if you bent a valve. It's better to find out now with the cooling system apart in case you need to remove the head to replace a valve.

Good luck!

sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
        X