Correct Timing Belt Tension??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Timing Belt Tension??

Hey guys, just did my timing belt job last week with the “while your in there” water pump, thermostat, new radiator jobs with a lot of help from google, this forum, and other sources. I got my new belt on and it ran perfectly. besides a weird rattling nose coming from the front of the engine. random, not RPM dependent, sometimes present at idle/sometimes not, seems to disappear when revved.

I already checked the other belts and clearances (like water pump pulley and harmonic balancer) and determined they aren’t the problem. my mechanic says it’s cause the timing belt is loose. I was 100% sure i did everything right but it’s the last thing to check so imma tear it down again and check the timing belt tension.

But my question is how to know if the tension is right? i’ve read a lot of things on this forum and it sounds like leaving the bolts loose enough to let the spring adjust the belt is the correct way? How do you know if a timing belt is “too” loose or not?

I also just got a new belt and a new timing belt tensioner spring just in case my belt is worn down from the few miles i put on it with the rattling lol

you leave the bolt loose enough that the spring creates the tension, then rotate it 2 revs by hand and lock that SOB down. I've heard some say to push a little extra by hand as you lock the bolts to allow for a bit of relaxation.

The bolts are not supposed to be loose.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      you leave the bolt loose enough that the spring creates the tension, then rotate it 2 revs by hand and lock that SOB down. I've heard some say to push a little extra by hand as you lock the bolts to allow for a bit of relaxation.

The bolts are not supposed to be loose.
      thanks! i’m looking at the new belt i just put on now, i think the last time i compressed the spring too much and didn’t let it take the slack out the tensioner pulley side. hopefully, this fixes my problems, i appreciate your response!

Comment

Working...
      X