Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last (I believe) vacuum leak, but what is causing it? I see where it is coming from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last (I believe) vacuum leak, but what is causing it? I see where it is coming from

The spot between the bottom of the Throttle body and the TPS.....The Shaft location where the TPS slips on, that is where the leak is coming from per the Smoke Test I did.
    Attached Files

I believe the butterfly shaft bearing in the throttle body itself seems worn.I doubt there is a fix without replacing the throttle body.
    Mine is doing the same and leaking oil to my tps, not a big issue i guess.

Comment

It's likely that the bearings/seals on the throttle shaft are worn. You can rebuild it, there's a writeup either here or a video on YouTube about it. It's kinda tricky, but doable. Also, any used TB is probably going to be leaky too. Good luck!
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

There is an o-ring there where the TPS mounts.

Comment

Thanks everyone above for the bad news. This car is the gift that keeps on giving (being sarcastic lol)......I located the video and this certainly is a pain. Here is the video on how to replace the bearing:

Comment

I think if you really need to do it the easy way try to find a small rubber seal that will fit (or fabricate one from a bigger seal) and stick it between the bearing and clip the rotation is not that fast and the bearing on 80s car still ok just not sealing.

Comment

Working...
            X