Clear All

.25mm Os rings with std piston+bore

I am in the middle of my low end refresh:

New sleeves.
    New bearings.
    New hg.
    Mint used pistons+conrods
    And alot of cleaning.

I am stuck can't find std rings where i live (Yemen) only a set of os .25, can i just gap them and i will be ok?

I've googled and some say yes and some say no, have anyone done it before with no issues?

I guess i will have to order std ring set and wait 3 months (shipping) rather than making the new sleeves unhappy, i can't wait to get m20 alive again.

Comment

Why does it take 3 months for shipping? Don’t they have air mail ?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Read the news my dear. I am in Yemen no air flights since 2015.

Comment

If you can’t get the correct ones you can try gapping them and seeing if they are light tight.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            If you can’t get the correct ones you can try gapping them and seeing if they are light tight.
            Thanks digger i did what you recommend but the problem not only on the gap it is the tension is much higher comparing to std, the shop just machined new sleeves.

I've searched the goetze pdf trying to compare sizes to other bmws and the closest thing was the m70b50 1.75+1.75+3mm since m20b25 is 1.50+1.75+3mm, so i remembered seeing a set the guy is desperate to sell it since no bmw m70 v12 in the country. so i decided to buy them and use the 2nd and the oil rings and take the top ring out of the m70's and source the 1st ring from a guy who sells only piston rings most are old Japanese oem we tried to find a same one as the top ring and luckily we found the same size,material,and tension (brand:Rik) but it lacks the inner top bevel (plain type). Is it an issue? I googled and the majority (from the fourms and sites i read) saying that it is not a big deal.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	for_mitsubishi_engine_parts_with_rik_piston_ring_set_20281_6d16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	10028263 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210818_190237.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	10028262
            I think this is the best i can do to finalize the rings issue with the limited resources available.

If you have comments or i did something wrong please enlighten me before i put them in, this is my first engine rebuild.
            Last edited by ADEN; 08-18-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X