Custom spark plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom spark plug wires?

is it possible to make my own spark plug wires. I can only find fully made sets that are compatible with the stock dizzy and I can't find any DIY terminals to make my own cable. I'm asking because I want to make custom length spark plug wires for my Wasted Spark turbo e30.

Yes. If you're using wasted spark you can use whatever coil terminals you need on that end (probably GM or Ford, easy to find). on the plug end, you can use basically anything generic, there's nothing proprietary about M20 plugs. The factory wires you sometimes need to remove the tips of the plugs to use the factory wires, but with aftermarket/generic that's not a problem, you can just leave the regular tips on and use standard terminals.

I've used GM plug wires on my M20 for years now (I think they're from a late 90's Firebird or something). I didn't make them myself (because it was cheaper to just buy them), but before that I had a set of aftermarket M20 plug wires I just cut the ends off of at the distributor end and put new plugs on for GM wasted spark coils. I probably got those terminals from Jegs or Summit.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a Bosch multi coil pack that has the same plug type as the stock e30 dizzy. That’s where my issue is currently. The diy options I’ve come across so far aren’t compatible with the coil pack I have.

Comment

You can still use a set of cut up stock wires. the terminals for the plugs can be from GM, etc.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          You can still use a set of cut up stock wires. the terminals for the plugs can be from GM, etc.
          Thanks bud. Used the GM terminals like you said and worked like a charm. I now have the wires routed like I wanted to clean up the engine bay a smidge.

For anyone reading this afterward, I used these specific terminals:

I used generic spark plug wires that came with spark plug connectors and ignition coil connectors.
          Generic wires I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRK7DMT...g=UTF8&psc=1Oh
          Last edited by ovo_e30; 09-30-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Ignore the rest of the mess.

Comment

Looks great! I'm glad it worked out.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

To confirm, you used spark plug ends on the coil pack? I have the same coil and both "male and female" coil or distributor boots don't fit correctly. Inside the coil terminals looks just like a spark plug with the nub removed.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                X