Clunk noise from driveshaft / diff ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunk noise from driveshaft / diff ?

I just installed a new guibo, center support bearing, welded diff. I now have this clunk noise coming from under the car. Not sure why it is happening. The input shaft on the diff I welded has about 1 mm of play but I heard thats normal. Someone please confirm. In the video I hold the brake while letting out the clutch to exaggerate the noise for the video but the same noise is happening when driving just more quiet and less violent. Also I must mention the car is a 325e with an m20b25 swapped by the PO. Supposedly the 325es came with a dual mass fly wheel and the 325i's did not. Could this noise be the dual mass? Also if I torqued a driveshaft bolt while in gear is it possible I damaged the internals of the transmission? I'm gonna get the car back in the air tomorrow, but any input is much appreciated

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like miker1017.

Diff carrier bushing? The diff / rear subframe will twist from engine torque (read this somewhere...unsure if it's accurate given the diff is bolted to the subframe with 4 large M12 bolts...). If the bushing is shot, you'll get a clunk.
    Last edited by Lugnuts; 10-12-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

input shaft has 1mm of play in which direction? thats not normal regardless
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
      X