Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

route of high-pressure oil through head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

route of high-pressure oil through head gasket?

Pretty certain I have an oil leak between cylinders two and three on the exhaust side. It appears to be coming from the head gasket area and running down the side of the block. It does not appear to be coming from the valve cover gasket and running down the head.

This is not a large leak (not dripping on the ground). However, I am doing a timing belt this weekend and replacing a couple oil seals on the front of the engine. I do not want to mess with the hg unless that is an area (between 3 and 4) where pressurized oil goes through the head gasket. The head gasket has no coolant-related problems.
    Last edited by strad; 04-15-2009, 06:28 PM.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Head gasket oil leaks are common there, it's the drain back not the pressure gallery.
    I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

So out of curiosity, where is/are the pressure gallery(s) located?

This motor is leaking about a quart every 1k miles -- maybe a tiny bit more. Most of it is going down the front side of the engine starting at the cam seal -- that's gonna get fixed this weekend though.
      The current fleet:
      1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

Hmmm. It is next to the rear of #3 cylinders rear right head bolt.

Having said that and carefully re reading your post...

I'm thinking now that it could be the pressure galley to the head that's leaking for you.

What's leaking in the front is most likely the RS packing plugs though (2 little rubber bastards front and rear under the valve cover).
        I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

The block is completely dry to the rear of under where the third spark plug is. The leak is very definitely coming from almost directly between the second and third spark plug.

You might be right about the rocker shaft plugs. I've got new ones ready to install.
          The current fleet:

Comment

Originally posted by strad View Post
            The block is completely dry to the rear of under where the third spark plug is. The leak is very definitely coming from almost directly between the second and third spark plug.

You might be right about the rocker shaft plugs. I've got new ones ready to install.
            It's usually the rear of the HG (5&6 area) that leaks from the drain backs and they just kind of weep a little, sounds like you have a real leak.

Comment

Dang it. I know you're right. At the same time I don't want to do the hg and associated fun (cylinder head inspection and reconditioning maybe) for a few more months. I guess I just do the timing belt this weekend, fix all the leaks up there, and do the hg later. And the t belt again of course.
              The current fleet:

Comment

Center head bolt, driver side(left). Oil is fed to the head through the hole in the head that the bolt runs through the head.

See the little notch cut ou by the head bolt hole? That is where the head is fed oil from the block.

Hope this helps in your journey to find your oil leak.
                -Andy

Comment

You meant passenger side, correct?

That would pretty well describe where I'm seeing my leak. I've got evidence from right next to it up to and including a couple inches forward.

What are the holes for in those extensions that stick out on the exhaust side -- I count six total. Are those the oil return holes?
                  The current fleet:

Comment

Yeah I meant passenger side.

You are going to have to explain extensions better, I don't understand what you are talking about.
                    -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                      Yeah I meant passenger side.

You are going to have to explain extensions better, I don't understand what you are talking about.
                      Haha, I've got it all figured out now. ;) I ended up pulling the cylinder head. Seemed there was no other way to fix the problem.
                      The current fleet:

Comment

Mine leaks a little too, but only enough to moisten the block, and I'm NOT going to take the head off for that! I lose MAYBE 1/2-1 quart between changes (every 2 months)
                        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

lol, i am having exact problem and even worse.

leaking at cylinder #2 and #3 exhaust side and cylinder 4 and 5 intake side. plus the bottom of steel tube between intake manifold and oil pan.

I just check the oil level every week hoping it won't get worse.

Comment

^You need to fix that shit before you fuck up your motor.
                            -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                              Mine leaks a little too, but only enough to moisten the block, and I'm NOT going to take the head off for that! I lose MAYBE 1/2-1 quart between changes (every 2 months)
                              Awww, come on! Removing the head is fun!! j/k. Well, it is kinda fun, but I understand where you're coming from. And I have another car to drive, which makes it easy to work on the cabrio. In my case, the leak was leaving the block visibly wet (not just moist lol) over an area three fingers wide. I was losing somewhere north of 1 quart every 1k miles, besides making a mess all over the underside of the car. Had to be done.
                              The current fleet:

Comment

Working...
                              X