coolant hose identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant hose identification

I just got another E30, and while changing my valve cover gasket noticed a coolant hose leaking. Used realoem and needed to know if in this picture the red arrow is coolant inlet hose P/N 64 21 1 380 527. Also, does the hose depicted with the yellow arrow attach to said hose. Does anyone kmow of a good way to change this? I can't get my hand in there. I apologize in advance for the blurry pic. Link to realoem, item 12 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=35

We need a better picture. However, I think you have the wrong hose. Is the hose you're trying to show the hose that goes from the head to the heater core?

Comment

Hard to tell, but I think that is the hose that comes off the very back of the head. If it is, that yellow hose does not attach.

As for getting it off (and more difficult, getting the new one back on) I used a really long screwdriver and a 5mm (?) socket with a long extension. I stood on the engine to get the best angle. I also had a friend help guide me from the passenger side.

I do suggest you change that hose out ASAP. I had a leaky coolant hose towards the back of the engine and coolant got into my transmission bellhousing, contaminating the clutch. Eventually it dried out and stopped slipping, but it took a long time.

'88 325is
      VP UT of Austin Autoholics
      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

That hose looks like the one, that feeds that little extra thermostat behind the engine

If i rmemebrr you need to remove the intke manifold to replace it
        88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
        85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Thanks for input everyone. I talked to someone that said to unbolt the transmission mounts and place a jack underneath the transmission,and jack it up, thereby tilting the engine slightly forward in order to get my meathook in there. The hose comes in Monday morning with my oil control valve gasket set. I'll be one step closer to leak-free.

Comment

Working...
          X