Rebuild my starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild my starter

​ It,s 32 years old and still works reliably, BUT, its kind of slow and I was thinking disassembly and cleaning may be worth it.
    On the other hand they are not big money and maybe worth it.
    New brushes should not be a big deal, but than again old is old and my better half is getting touchy about tha parts bill.

Cheers
    ​​​​​​​Tom

Engine Ground strap and Hood Ground strap replacement. Ive read more than one instance of people replacing the main engine ground strap and having much better response from the starter.
    Here is a link to the one that CATuned provides and one can add a hood strap for a few more ducats. https://catuned.com/#!/Upgrade-Engin...re/p/469620305

From thier site "Decrease alternator and starter strain by providing higher current flow"

Comment

I've cleaned a few out since I removed them to change the solenoid and they've worked fine ever since but wouldn't bother removing just to clean them. New and reman units can be had relatively cheap, ready to bolt on.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sure enough, the ground from oil pan to frame looks nasty.

Thanks
        Tg

Comment

Working...
        X