Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Sending Unit (left) hum?

Hello,
    The latest fix on my 325is rehab project was to replace the left side Fuel Tank Sending Unit (part number 16141179720) since the old was was leaking out the top of the tank. I have ordered and installed a replica version from Bimmerworld, URO part number 014936. While the unit fits perfectly with no more signs of leakage or smell of fumes, a slight hum now comes from the new fuel sending unit whenever the car is on. What's more strange, is the hum is present whether or not the gas gauge wires are connected to the top of the fuel sending unit. Any ideas what may be causing this hum? Could it simply be the fact that the URO part I purchased is not an authentic/original BMW version of the same part? Thank you!

Originally posted by zbc View Post
    Hello,
    The latest fix on my 325is rehab project was to replace the left side Fuel Tank Sending Unit (part number 16141179720) since the old was was leaking out the top of the tank. I have ordered and installed a replica version from Bimmerworld, URO part number 014936. While the unit fits perfectly with no more signs of leakage or smell of fumes, a slight hum now comes from the new fuel sending unit whenever the car is on. What's more strange, is the hum is present whether or not the gas gauge wires are connected to the top of the fuel sending unit. Any ideas what may be causing this hum? Could it simply be the fact that the URO part I purchased is not an authentic/original BMW version of the same part? Thank you!

URO is a company to stay well away from. a simple google will reveal a plethora of horror. Uro parts are not to be trusted.

Comment

Can’t imagine how the sending unit could be generating a humming noise. Are you sure it is not coming from the lift fuel pump?

Comment

It will be the pump.. The sender measures resistance dependent on the float level nothing more
        Boris - 89 E30 325i
        84- E30 323i

Comment

Concur with bangn.

Also URO at large, do actually have some good stuff. They went out of their way to reproduce excellent taillight lenses for roundie 2002's. The even have a rep active on the bmw2002faq providing feedback and spearheading improved replacements on different seals/rubbers. So, yes, a lot of it is cheap chineseum, however there are some fantastic exceptions.

My rule of thumb is to not count them out if it doesn't involve electronics.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
            Concur with bangn.

Also URO at large, do actually have some good stuff. They went out of their way to reproduce excellent taillight lenses for roundie 2002's. The even have a rep active on the bmw2002faq providing feedback and spearheading improved replacements on different seals/rubbers. So, yes, a lot of it is cheap chineseum, however there are some fantastic exceptions.

My rule of thumb is to not count them out if it doesn't involve electronics.

i got a thermostat housing from them i had to dremel out, spend 4 days smoothing, and refinish to take out a warp so it would install without leaking. i'm kicking myself for using it all. i can see it being a weak point even after the extra effort.

i've just about never seen anyone have success with their parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

i've just about never seen anyone have success with their parts.

I believe you. However, I've also seen plenty of people (myself included) very happy with parts they've made when BMW bailed on us. Again, go on the FAQ and you'll find lots of examples.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I believe you. However, I've also seen plenty of people (myself included) very happy with parts they've made when BMW bailed on us. Again, go on the FAQ and you'll find lots of examples.
                what would you recommend / risk using from them ?

Comment

Rear taillight lenses for the 2002, they're fantastic.

1FE702D0-A023-43EF-B82B-9D260E4D18BC.jpeg.3bd79d0aee2fef283e67b650976efafb by Adams Autosport, on Flickr
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Rear taillight lenses for the 2002, they're fantastic.
                    not a mission critical part, which is why i hate the brand. a failed lens won't destroy the car. a number of their parts have been known to fail leading to the end of a car.

i can get behind a repro of a non critical part though.

eidt : for instance, run their tie rod ends if you wanna see that minty all wrecked up, they've broken before at speed.

Comment

You're not wrong. I wouldn't run them either.

They've gone through three revisions of 2002 door seals (to date) in order to make a good alternative to the discontinued OE parts.
                      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                      X