Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coil problems

E30 ignition coil problems

My 87 bmw 325i has been having start problems for awhile I replaced everything related to the start system, coil, wires, rotor, distributor cap, sensors. And it still won’t start, I learned that it could be a problem with my coil which is brand new. The positive wire when separated from the coil gets 12v when the key is in the start position, and 10v when cranking which i think is right, but when it’s connected to the coil it gets 2.6v when the key is in the start position and 2.6v when cranking

My theory is if it’s only allowing 2.6v then it’s not creating a big enough voltage to make it through to the spark plugs

Does anyone know why this might be​

-First post btw

really can't speak to the coil voltages, have you done the diagnostics ?

this may help : https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...16#post6384191

go through that and the obd1 diagnostics right after. try a stomp test and note any codes that occur.

Comment

Originally posted by JRH View Post
      E30 ignition coil problems

My 87 bmw 325i has been having start problems for awhile I replaced everything related to the start system, coil, wires, rotor, distributor cap, sensors. And it still won’t start, I learned that it could be a problem with my coil which is brand new. The positive wire when separated from the coil gets 12v when the key is in the start position, and 10v when cranking which i think is right, but when it’s connected to the coil it gets 2.6v when the key is in the start position and 2.6v when cranking

My theory is if it’s only allowing 2.6v then it’s not creating a big enough voltage to make it through to the spark plugs

Does anyone know why this might be​

-First post btw
      You have reached your problem 2.6V on the + terminal of the coil while on ignition indicates a weak OBC relay (if you have one) or even a weak ignition switch. Some circuits tests fine unloaded but failed when loaded.

Connect a wire from battery + to the + terminal of the coil and see if the car starts.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshots_2023-08-25-22-00-18.png
Views:	154
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	10102515

Comment

Working...
      X