1987 325i crank no start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325i crank no start issue

Hello there, I got an 1987 e30 convertible 325i in a trade non running, but supposedly the month previous it was running until it didn’t (why the guy wanted to trade it) . I’ve done just about as much as I think I could possibly to do to try and fix the car, but nothing in my wiring book, Bentley book, nor any forum online has had any affect on my outcome. Here’s what I’ve tested so far. Car always crank, fuel pumps come on and give appropriate fuel pressure when jumped across the relay( won’t otherwise), have spark when I jump the negative coil lead to the negative terminal on the battery. Have no injector pulse, and otherwise, no spark or fuel unless done manually. At first I thought it would be the crank sensor, so I went to autozone and got their knockoff version of it, did nothing. Checked their resistance values with a voltmeter, was within range, but could still be the issue, replaced it with another I bought from bimmer world, it had even closer resistance values, but still didn’t fix it ( measured at the plug, and dme plug). Since this car is a convertible, it has the battery in the front, so no fuse able link. Otherwise, thought it could be the DME, so I bought a supposedly good one that was in much better condition than the one in my car, but after plugging that in, still made no difference. Swapped main relay out, jumped it. I double checked that the car wasn’t locking me out through the anti theft, so I cut the green wire and green and red wire and reversed them, did nothing. The only thing that I’ve come across that has given me any suspicion is that with the dme cover off, the dme will buzz only sometimes when cranking, and it’s very intermittent, like a wire is loose. And whenever the buzzing is active, the check engine light will glow on my dash, but as soon as it stops buzzing, it goes away. But as I said, it will very intermittently go on and off when the car is in the on position, but completely stops when cranking for more than a second. Following this, I watched the tachometer jump a couple times when cranking, but it never actually stayed up, so maybe that’s an issue to? Otherwise, using the “necessities to run” pin out for the dme from all forums, everything that I’ve checked seems to checkout, except when off or on, pins one and two (1 ground pulse, 2 is dme ground) are always connected , nothing seems to open them, unless I’m reading my voltmeter wrong, which is very possible. I’ve supplied fresh ground and power to the dme whilst it’s plugged in( shoved a small wire onto the required pin 2 and closed the connector over it) but that still did nothing. There’s much more testing I’ve done beyond this, but I would re test everything that I’ve gone through already and more to document it, I just need a direction because this is driving me insane.

start by bookmarking this post

Diagnostics, tips, & tricks by Jim Levie (E30 Jedi Master) - R3VLimited Forums

go through the diagnostics here

info on codes if you can get a stomp test

the answer is in there somewhere.​​​

Comment

Working...
    X