• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Compression leakdown test

Hey fam,
    took my car to a shop to do leakdown and compression test
    car shakes when at idle but hasnt been driven for 3 yrs
    here is results

Hate to say it, but the results don't look good, especially cylinder 3. Might indeed be time for a rebuild.

I've tracking down a cold start idle issue and slight misfire. Regular compression test revealed 115-120 in all 6 cylinders. This was a couple years ago and the results still surprise me as the engine off idle pulls silky smooth and hard.
    90 Bronzit 325is
    16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

So what did you end up doing because im kind of stuck on what to do you think rebuild or just swap a new engine inside?

Comment

I'm still having issues, but want to rule out other items before a rebuild. I swapped in another M20 about 3-4 years ago and the same cold idle issues are happening.

That being said, swapping in a verified healthy M20 will be much cheaper than a rebuild. Just verify compression before you buy if you can.
        90 Bronzit 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Jako212 View Post
          So what did you end up doing because im kind of stuck on what to do you think rebuild or just swap a new engine inside?
          rebuild it.

You might pop in a used one that works for a while, but no used engine will last longer than a properly rebuilt one.

cost is obviously something to consider, so if you're going to keep the car long term, rebuilding is cheaper in the long run. If the car is something you might want to sell in the coming years, just put a used one in it.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Either rebuild it or buy a new e30 sell this as is?
            found one with an m50 8k price but its a four door

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

rebuild it.

You might pop in a used one that works for a while, but no used engine will last longer than a properly rebuilt one.

cost is obviously something to consider, so if you're going to keep the car long term, rebuilding is cheaper in the long run. If the car is something you might want to sell in the coming years, just put a used one in it.
              This is the approach I'm going to take if my current M20 is truly in need of a rebuild. I plan on keeping my 325is for a long time and don't want to play engine roulette again.
              90 Bronzit 325is

Comment

Working...
              X